I need to merge 2 securities. I merged 2 securities with my broker, mine and his. Now I need to

merge them on quicken. I set up a new account and transferred 1 security. I don't know how to transfer the 2nd security so it merges with the first. There are many years of transactions, it would take forever to reenter individual transactions. any ideas?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "merges with the first." Are these two different securities, or two holdings of the same security?

In any case, the Shares transferred between accounts action should do what you want. It will duplicate the real world transaction, creating one Removed transaction for all the shares in the old account and one Added tranaction in the new account for each current tax lot of the security, preserving the cost basis.

The original transactions will remain in the old account. You can hide the old account if you want but you should not delete it.

As always, back up your data file before doing this in case the result is not to your likeing.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • alron
    alron Member
    They are 2 holdings of the same security. The shares transferred creates a second security in the same account. I was hoping to end up with one. I'll do a single transaction to move the total and deal with it if I sell part.
    Thank you
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have two Quicken securities representing the same one real world security, your options as I see it would be"
    1. Edit each of the transactions of one Quicken security changing the name to the preferred Quicken security.  I have done that before.  Sorting the transaction list by security and using the clipboard "Paste" feature - it goes faster than you might think.  When completed, you can delete the unused security from the security list.  OR
    2. Enter a Corporate Acquisition transaction in a relevant account whereby Security 1 acquires Security 2.  In this approach, all subsequent transactions will use the "Security 1" name but "Security 2" will still be needed with its historical transactions.  With some judicious planing and editing, you could actually get to a position of having the transaction list read as Remove Shares of "Security 2" from Account 2 and a bunch of same day Add Shares of "Security 1" into Account 1.
    For either approach, BACKUP FIRST, and review in detail afterwards to make sure the resulting details are correct.  
  • alron
    alron Member
    Thanks, I'll give option 1 a try.
  • alron
    alron Member
    Thanks again, but I have another problem. I set up a few securities in a new account and transferred the transactions. All ok. When I go to the investing tab it lists the individual securities correctly, clicking the + shows the transactions. But when I click on the account (on the Left) to enter a transaction, I get only one security in the list and I am unable to change it to another security in that account. I have to be off the computer for a few days but I will be checking back. again thank you.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you click on an account after transferring the securities into it, you should see one or more Added transactions in the transaction list for each security in the account. If you are seeing something different, please explain. 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.