Quicken Mac 2006 data file import to Quicken 2017

DeWFPo
DeWFPo Member
I have a need to somehow import Quicken 2006 files (Version 15.0.6 - R7) into my current version of Quicken 2017 (Version 4.8.5). Q17 will not recognize the Q06 files. Does anyone know what I have to do for Q17 to read Q06 data files?

:) Thanks

DeWFPo

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    2017 should recognize 2006 files if you follow the 2007 import pathway.

Things I would check: make sure the file is copied locally to your machine and that the filename is >32 characters. 

If the program still refuses to even open the file, then your source files might be corrupt. Those older formats were sensitive to the disk format on which they were saved, and if you didn't watch what you were doing, the files could easily be broken up/lose data. A telltale sign is if the file icon no longer is the Quicken logo with the Q on it.
  • DeWFPo
    DeWFPo Member
    Thanks John,

I guess I'm screwed then because when I try to import the Q06 files into Q17, the files show up on the list of files but they are greyed out as in unvailable to import and there is no Q icon associated with those files.

DeWFPo
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @DeWFPo Do your Quicken 2006 files have a filename extension? If not, does anything change if you add a .qdfm extension?

The only other thing I can suggest is that you need Quicken 2007 as an intermediate step. Modern Quicken Mac only claims to import Quicken 2007 data files. Supposedly, there were no structural changes to the database between Quicken 2006 and Quicken 2007, so conventional wisdom has been that even though Quicken doesn't certify it, Quicken 2006 files will import correctly. But there have been several people recently who have reported that it doesn't work for them. so you face two possibilities: your files are damaged and have no path forward, or your files will import into Quicken 2007, and the Quicken 2007 files will import into Quicken 2019.

Quicken used to provide old versions of software, including Quicken 20o07, to help users bridge from older file formats to the current product, but they stopped providing Quicken 2007 awhile back. So your challenge is to find someone with a copy of Quicken 2007. There is often someone selling one on eBay, but you might find it elsewhere.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DeWFPo
    DeWFPo Member
    Thank You for your reply john.

The Quicken 2006 file does indeed have a .qdfm file extension. When I click on it, my Quicken 2017 (V4.8.5) opens and then gives me the message "Could not import the QuickenData.qdfm file. An error occurred while preparing the file to be imported." I don't believe the file is damaged because my my was just able to create it on her vintage 2003 iMac using Quicken 2006 (V15.0.6-R7).

We appreciate you valuable assistance John.

DeWFPO
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I think your response was meant for Jacob.

The .qdfm extension is really optional-only new files created post OS X versions of Quicken added it. Conversions don't need it.

You mentioned two different issues: 1) inability to select the files to import (grayed out) and 2) "could not import the xyzzy.qdfm file" Those are two different issues.

Can you open the files on your old 2003 iMac in Quicken 2006? If not, the files are likely corrupt. If you can, and (after compressing and moving the files to your newer Mac running 2017 now get the cannot process error, then you might need a version of 2007 as jacobs indicates. 

If the latter, contacting support and asking for 2007 may yield you a copy. It has happened in the past.
  • DeWFPo
    DeWFPo Member
    Hello John, I'm sorry. I am new at this. My wife can open files and create new files on her old 2003 iMac running Quicken 2006 so I don't believe the file or files are corrupted. Thanks DeWFPo
This discussion has been closed.