Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Restore from backup loses all price history

Using Windows 10 QW Premier R27.1.21.17.

Restoring a from a backup loses all price history. I can get back the history for public securities either by updating quotes, or Validate delete and rebuild. (Regular validate or supervalidate does nothing).

My problem is that I have a number of non-public securities and that I manually enter price history for. If I restore from backup I will lose that price history.

I have a very large file (170MB) going back about 25 years.

Any ideas? Is this just a bug to report?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2019
    How did you determine that?  Because the backup should have contained all price history as of the last download (or manual input) that pre-dated the backup.
    IF you did indeed lose all price history, that would suggest a severely corrupted Q data file ... which is a completely separate issue from the "restore from backup".
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • jon
    jon Member ✭✭
    >How did you determine that?

I restored from backup on a separate machine (which is how I usually transfer between desktop and laptop) and my net worth was very low. I think followed the steps I outlined to get the public securities back, discovering that the non-public ("do not get updated prices") securities were also lost.

I still have the pre-backup file that has all of the good price data. Obviously it is a big deal if backups aren't working (for me anyway).

I have in the last month or so validated and supervalidated. The file seems to be fine in all other respects. I use it a lot.
  • jon
    jon Member ✭✭
    Ok, while back/restore loses my price history. Validate/supervalidate doesn't help. However, copying the data file does NOT lose price history and then doing a backup /restore from the copied file also does NOT lose price history.
This discussion has been closed.