Why are the investment totals on the Account Balances report not the same as shown in Quicken?

LM
LM Member ✭✭
I have compared the Account Balances report investment totals to the Net Worth report investment totals and to the Investment Balances in the Quicken main window. The Account Balances report investment totals are the only totals that do not match the Net Worth report or the totals in the main Quicken window. There are major dollar differences. I have compared the dates, accounts, categories, payees, and securities that are selected in the Account Balances report and the Net Worth report. I am using the Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 version R22.12 build 27.1.22.12.
Tagged:

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If the number of shares is right you might have a price dated in the future or a wrong price listed for the current date. Edit the price history to check. Or even a transaction dated in the future.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back up your data before making any changes to your historical data.

Do a File > File Operations > Validate and repair to see if there are problems with your data file.

If the Validate and Repair does not fix the problem, look at the reports account by account and see which account(s) have different balances. Once you have identified a problem account, set the ending dates for the reports back in time until the balances match, then go forward till the mismatch occurs. See if there is a suspicious transaction on that date. Sometimes deleting an re-entering problem transactions will clear up this sort of issue.

Please let us know what if anything fixes the problem for you

QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine have never agreed, but they have only been off by cents, not dollars.
    I have also found that the "current" (right most) column in the Networth report is different when different intervals are picked, but the last column should always be the same, so there is something fishy about the report generator.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• LM
    LM Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > If the number of shares is right you might have a price dated in the future or a wrong price listed for the current date. Edit the price history to check. Or even a transaction dated in the future.

This will give me some things to check. Thank you. Is there an specific area to edit the price history besides going line by line in the register? I don't usually manually enter data but rather downloaded transactions. One investment has 3 placeholders but the others do not have placeholders.
  • LM
    LM Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Back up your data before making any changes to your historical data.
    >
    > Do a File > File Operations > Validate and repair to see if there are problems with your data file.
    >
    > If the Validate and Repair does not fix the problem, look at the reports account by account and see which account(s) have different balances. Once you have identified a problem account, set the ending dates for the reports back in time until the balances match, then go forward till the mismatch occurs. See if there is a suspicious transaction on that date. Sometimes deleting an re-entering problem transactions will clear up this sort of issue.
    >
    > Please let us know what if anything fixes the problem for you

I ran the Validate and Repair with Validate file and rebuild investing options. Looks OK.
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Wed Oct 09 16:55:28 2019]

[Wed Oct 09 16:55:31 2019]
    Rebuilt investing lots.
    Validation has completed.

I looked at Net Worth and Account Balances report at a quick glance which includes 3 years of data. Two of 5 accounts matched 3 years ago so looks like I need to dig deeper for the other 3 to find where the mismatch started in what month.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To view and edit the price history, go to the Security Detail view, click on Update and Edit price history. If the price is missing for a given date, Quicken uses the most recent earlier price on file.

But if the report end dates are the same the price history should not matter. The value of each holding should be (# of shares on that date) * (price per share from price history)
    QWin Premier subscription
  • LM
    LM Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > To view and edit the price history, go to the Security Detail view, click on Update and Edit price history. If the price is missing for a given date, Quicken uses the most recent earlier price on file.
    >
    > But if the report end dates are the same the price history should not matter. The value of each holding should be (# of shares on that date) * (price per share from price history)

Thank you Jim. It took me a while to find it. I'm not real familiar with this area.
    I do have a backup in case I mess something up.
    Yes, the report end dates are for the same date range.
  • LM
    LM Member ✭✭
    I was in Quicken looking around. I went to the Reports menu selected Net Worth and Balances then selected Account Balances. I ran the report with the same parameters. This report matches what Quicken shows for all the account balances. Why when I click "net worth" link at the bottom of the account side bar does the Account Balances report not match? Isn't the Account Balances report the same only accessed 2 different ways? I made sure that I selected all options on both reports the same way. I'm beginning to think something is corrupt. I just upgraded Quicken this year but have used different versions for many years.
This discussion has been closed.