Switching to Average Cost (Adjusted Cost Base?) - Canada Edition

Options
mike11
mike11 Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I am working with the Canadian edition of quicken (current subscription) and I am trying to change my stock reporting from fifo to average cost (which I believe is the same as adjusted cost base) , but when I follow the instructions at https://www.quicken.com/support/switch-tracking-basis-security-lot-identification-average-cost but I never get the "Use Average Cost checkbox".

1) What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to enable "Use Average Cost"?
2) Is there any difference between "Average Cost" and CRA's "Adjusted Cost Base" calculations?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the US, Use Average Cost only is only available to mutual funds.  My recollection (from earlier discussions) is the Canadian edition had not implemented the option.
  • drcuddy
    drcuddy Member ✭✭
    Options
    Mike,
    I have the same issue, but with Quicken for Mac. The only options shown for determining capital gains/losses are LIFO and FIFO, methods that are used in the US. I've haven't found any way to get Quicken for Mac to use the Average Cost method of calculation, as required by CRA.

In answer to your question, the CRA's "Adjusted Cost Base" stipulated for calculation of capital gains/losses uses an Average Cost calculation. The "Adjusted" aspect of ACB is that you can adjust the cost incurred for buying or selling equities (mutual funds, ETFs, etc) by any commissions or other fees paid as part of the buy/sell transactions.
  • capnvino
    capnvino Member
    Options
    One way to get around this.
    1) Edit security details
    2) Change type to Mutual Funds
    3) Click check box for USe Average Cost
    4) Click OK
    5) Wait till Quicken removes lot information and calculates average cost
    6) Go back into Security details and change back to Stocks/ETF or whatever you had. And click OK

Walla
This discussion has been closed.