Quicken sees less memory on a 16 GB PC than on an 8 GB PC

Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
For many years, I ran Quicken on a pair of Win7x64 PCs with 8 GB of real memory. On both those machines, Quicken reported total memory of 4,194,303 KB, i.e., 4 GB.
I recently acquired a new Win10x64 PC with 16 GB of RAM. On that machine, Quicken reports total memory of 2,097,151 KB - only 2 GB.
Why does Quicken see less memory on a PC with more memory? I am new to Win10, is there a setting I need to modify?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    This issue has been discussed previously.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7808588/what-and-where-is-quicken-reporting-available-memory-2097151k
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Thanks for the pointer to that thread. I remember it now, and read it again, but it doesn’t actually answer my question.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Actually it does...
    How it saw more under Win7 is anyone's guess.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the old 8 GB were the anomaly...- to allow Quicken to see 4 GB

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Since we all seem to be guessing, my guess is that 32-bit programs can, by definition, see a 32-bit address space, which is 4 GB.
    The information in various posts around the web is contradictory. Some say Windows steals from that 4 GB. Some say a build-time flag enables 4 GB visibility.
    I would love to find a simple answer to why the exact same 32-bit executable sees 4 GB on a Win7 machine and 2 GB on a Win10 machine.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Why does Quicken see less memory on a PC with more memory?
    I suspect Windows 10 includes a modification that corrects the amount of memory Quicken reports.  As explained, Quicken is 32-bit application and, on a 64-bit Windows OS, is limited to 4 GB of addressable memory when linked with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE and 2 GB otherwise.
    I am new to Win10, is there a setting I need to modify?
    No.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited December 2019
    Now for some real amusement. In the same program folder as qw.exe there is a program called techhelp.exe. This is what it displays on my new machine with an Intel i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, a 512 GB SSD, and a 2925 MB page file:

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    ok - here's mine - Win10 64-bit (1903) - 4GB

Even the DISK info is a little weird -
    here are the Properties -  not sure how 3931 MB translates into 231 GB or 250 GB

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    About Techhelp.exe I'd say:
    • Users better not rely on this ancient clunker of a program
    • Quicken programmers better remove it or find an up-to-date version of the program
This discussion has been closed.