Unable to open existing file or create new file

As of this morning, I am unable to open an existing file or create a new file. On my existing file, Quicken will get as far as allowing me to enter my file encryption password. On a new file, it crashes shortly after selecting the new filename, but before I can take any other actions (such as creating an account). In both cases, I get the window frame, the menu bar, and a white background. Before I can take any actions, that window closes and the crash report window opens up, also launching Internet Explorer in the background (which never shows the URL and simply hangs).

I contacted the support chat line and they had me reinstall Quicken, which did not change things.

I was able to open my file yesterday evening, prior to applying the latest Patch Tuesday updates from Microsoft. The Microsoft patches for Windows 10 are the only change, so while it seems logical that would be related, it doesn't help me get my file open. Is there an update to Quicken required so that it works with the latest Windows 10 patches?

At the moment, the software is entirely unusable, since I can't even create a new file and start over. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get Quicken working again, I'd appreciate them.

Best Answer

• SteveFerguson
    SteveFerguson Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    After reapplying the updates today, Quicken is able to start up again. Presumably something about one of the updates didn't install correctly the first time and affected Quicken. One of the updates was to .NET Framework, so I suppose that's not surprising. Thanks for the help.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    FAQ: Windows Defender & Controlled Folder Access

FWIW, I updated Windows yesterday and Quicken runs fine.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Yes, those are the updates that were installed yesterday.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    things ok here - after the updates to Win10 1903 - running QWin 2020 R23.17 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, I believe Quicken removed the dependency on the .NET Framework from Quicken Subscription.
This discussion has been closed.