How can I update my wifes Quicken 2017 with the new 2020 subscription I purchased?

I'm having a difficult time getting the application to run when upgrading her machine. Your logon screen won't allow me to overwrite her e-mail with mine and the new password I setup when I bought the subscription. This will do me no good if I can't run it on her machine as she's the one that uses it.
Also, I'm a bit perturbed that the subscription date runs from date of purchase 11/30 rather than the date of installation and first usage. I bought this as a Christmas gift a month ago, so effectively am getting screwed out of 1 month of service. If you are unable to make the date run 12/25 -12/24, I will cancel the auto subscription. However first I need to get it to run on her machine or will cancel the purchase. Your immediate assistance is requested.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to sign in as a different user. Also, if you purchase from Quicken, the clock starts running on the day of purchase. If you purchase from a 3rd party (Amazon, etc.), the clock starts when you activate.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do to Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id and "login as different user".

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a difficult time getting the application to run when upgrading her machine. Your logon screen won't allow me to overwrite her e-mail with mine and the new password I setup when I bought the subscription. This will do me no good if I can't run it on her machine as she's the one that uses it.
    Also, I'm a bit perturbed that the subscription date runs from date of purchase 11/30 rather than the date of installation and first usage. I bought this as a Christmas gift a month ago, so effectively am getting screwed out of 1 month of service. If you are unable to make the date run 12/25 -12/24, I will cancel the auto subscription. However first I need to get it to run on her machine or will cancel the purchase. Your immediate assistance is requested.
    Hi @dwallace115 ,

You wrote above, the problem. With the Subscription Product, unless you buy two copies of the Subscription Product all Quicken Data Files must be registered with the same Quicken User ID and password,

If you have already activated the product on your computer, you need to download a New Installer from your Quicken Account.

See this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• I have not activated the product on my laptop. I just installed it on hers, but can not activate it (as I originally stated above) because the application will not allow me to overwrite her e-mail with mine). If I understand your response correctly, I simply need to return the product unused and do something other than quicken as I wont' be able to use the 9 years worth of data files she already has.
    thank you for taking the time to respond.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't listen to @thecreator , you don't need 2 subscriptions. You can use the same Quicken ID/Password on both computers. As @UKR and I posted, you should be able to sign in as a different user or sign out of the current username.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you try the advice of Greg and myself regarding "login in as different user"?
    There is no need to return anything, just try it.
    If it doesn't work, write back with the error messages/results that you get.
    Not sure where needing two subscriptions came from as you do not need two, just the one.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreator
    I have not activated the product on my laptop. I just installed it on hers, but can not activate it (as I originally stated above) because the application will not allow me to overwrite her e-mail with mine). If I understand your response correctly, I simply need to return the product unused and do something other than quicken as I wont' be able to use the 9 years worth of data files she already has.
    thank you for taking the time to respond.
    Hi @dwallace115 ,

Where did you buy the Quicken Subscription Product from? When you posted your response, you haven't stated to whom you are responding to.

I never stated to return the product..

Comment back.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some of the confusion is coming from not knowing exactly what is happening -
    The Quicken program uses a Quicken ID to marry the Quicken data files with a unique Quicken User ID.  If your wife has been using Quicken for years, and has the actual data, then she must also have a Quicken ID for using the product - is this correct ?
    If you have now purchased and downloaded the program from the Quicken website, the program, and any associated Quicken data files will the associated with YOUR Quicken User ID - the User ID that was used to purchase that copy of Quicken.
    So.... is this the situation -
    You have your OWN Quicken User ID which was used to purchase Quicken ...
    Your wife has the old Quicken 2017, all the data files, and HER OWN Quicken ID -
    Is this the scenario ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Yes, precisely. Thank you. However, after receiving a number of comments back from the community, I did find a rather 'light colored link' in the registration process that said 'use this id with a different data file'. So I rolled the dice and clicked that. That did the trick. Now all is well, and It's running on my wifes' machine. Thak you all for your kind assistance.

I'm still going to contact Quicken and express my frustration over losing a month's worth of 'support' on the new online version. Nowhere is it clearly stated that the subscription begins upon purchase and not installation.

Again, the problem is solved, and I appreciate the feedback from the community.
  • thecreator
    Hi @dwallace115 ,

Again, you did not state where you brought the Quicken Subscription from?

If you brought from Quicken at https://www.quicken.com/ , the product is automatically activated on the day of purchase.

If you purchased from another retailer like Staples or Amazon, activation begins on the day you enter the Activation Code.

This discussion has been closed.