Is there a way to run a report of current budget balances?

I use the "Planning" option with a budget. I set all budgets to roll over at the end of the month.

Is there a way to produce a report that shows me the current balance? So if I under-spent my dining out by $150 over the entire year, my current balance in that category is $150. I want to run a report to show the $150 in this budget category ... and all my categories

I have not been able to figure this out and I extract them manually (entering in a spreadsheet manually)

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Dennis59
    Dennis59 Member ✭✭
    You can run a report that includes the balance. Open the Planning tab to show your budget. Near the top right corner there is a box labeled "Budget Actions". Click on it to see your options which includes "Budget Reports". Play with the report options to get what you need. I used the yearly option so I had 3 columns: Actual - Budget - Balance. You can export it to Excel if you want to do anything more with it. Good luck and I hope this helps.
  • joezano1
    joezano1 Member ✭✭
    Dennis59, thanks for your inputs. I still can't quite get what I want. Sorry if I am just being dense! :o ...

On the Planning Tab, I do "Budget Actions" --> "Budget Reports" ... I have two Options there "Current Budget" and "Historical Budget". I select "Current Budget" and it shows Actual, Budget and Difference. In the options at top, I select "Yearly" per your suggestion. I still get the same info ... seems you were able to get "Balance", I can only get "Difference" for the last report point.

When I click the gear on the report window, I can't see to find anything that would get me to anything that would report "Balance" vs. " Difference".

Thanks if you can provide any more assistance!
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reports > Spending > Current Budget > Interval = "None"
    That gives you your spending year to date, your budget year to date, and the difference.
    This report is best run at each month end.
  • joezano1
    joezano1 Member ✭✭
    Tom ... thanks for your help. I'm still not quite there. I did what you suggest and still I get Actual, Budget and Difference. I am trying to get to the current balance, not difference. I am including a small snipped from the Planning Tab where I show the Annual View. You will see here the balance for Eating out is $473. It is this "Balance" I want to show in a report.

Note because I move money around during the year (one budget category under-spent moved to another that is over-spent) ... so the Difference in Eating Out is not the same as the balance.

Thanks
  • joezano1
    joezano1 Member ✭✭
    Those trying to help ... I think I'm getting closer.

If I got to the Planning Tab --> click File --> Print Budgets. There is an option to export to text file (or CVF), but that crashes Quicken. Again, I don't know for sure if this will allow me to print the current balance. Again, might only show the "difference" and I want to see the current balance.

Thanks
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me a precise definition of "current balance".  If it's the amount "left to spend" then you simply run the budget report for the entire year 1/1/XX to 12/31/XX.
  • joezano1
    joezano1 Member ✭✭
    Tom ... appreciate your help. If I go to the "Planning" tab, scrolls to the right and see my December information I have "Budget", "Actual" and "Balance". It is this "Balance" I want to export. So I guess it is the "left to spend" as you mention.

If I run a report for "Current Budget" it gives me the "Budget", "Actual" and "Difference".

I can't figure out how to get "Balance" vs. "Difference" in any of the reports

Thanks
  • joezano1
    joezano1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Joseph -- nice to know I'm not chasing ghosts ... it is just not a supported function. Appreciate you clarifying that for me!
This discussion has been closed.