Crashes when I try to add a new investment

Options
I've used Quicken for years but this is the first time I've had this problem. On my 2016 version, when I try to add a new investment the program crashes. First it tries to send an error report but then it says it can't send it and then it shuts down. I've tried "File Operation" , "Validate and Repair" and it now shows no problems. I've tried going back to older back up versions but the same thing happens. Does anyone know what would cause this?

Best Answer

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's impossible to say other than it is a data corruption. Best advice is to continue to restore back far enough until the corruption is not present. Then run a validation.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's impossible to say other than it is a data corruption. Best advice is to continue to restore back far enough until the corruption is not present. Then run a validation.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken 2016 had it's Online Services discontinued about 7 months ago: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

If you're adding a new account, it needs to be added as a manual account: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-enter-accounts-and-transactions-manually-quicken-windows

Likewise, if you're adding a new security, it needs to be specified manually.
  • Glen3181
    Glen3181 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @GeoffG said:
    > It's impossible to say other than it is a data corruption. Best advice is to continue to restore back far enough until the corruption is not present. Then run a validation.

I tried several backups with no success. This meant to me that the problem was in the program where something had become corrupted. I took a risk and bought the newest version and it worked. It was risky because despite the 30 day guarantee, during installation it removes the old version so there's no going back. The really annoying thing is that now I'm stuck in the annual subscription situation. I can't wait to find alternative software.