excluding "intermediate" transfers between accounts from CASH FLOW report

Options
I just started using the CASH FLOW report. For regular income sources, it's great. If I get a transfer from an investment account to my checking account, that is properly shown as income.

But it also shows what I would call "intermediate" transfer as income. Two examples:

1. Transfers from my checking account to my credit card accounts to pay the monthly balance due are counted as as "income" to that credit card account.
2. Transfers from my checking to a savings account are counted as "income" to that savings account. I get a discount on the mortgage rate if the bank can auto-withdraw the monthly payment from a savings account.

In both cases, if I would write a check to pay the credit card bill or the monthly mortgage, then there would be no issue. But why write a check when paying online is faster, more convenient, and eliminates check and postage costs?

For now I'm doing an export to Excel but that's extra work what with editing rows in Excel.
Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @Phil

You're right, the type of payments you describe (payments on credit card balances, etc.) should probably not be reflected in the Cash Flow report.  I suggest that you take a look at your settings - specifically the handling of transfers. 

With the cash flow report open - click on the gear in the upper right corner > then click the Advanced tab > you'll see "Transfers" near the bottom > in the drop-down menu select "exclude all".  This will remove all those "intermdiate transfers" in your parlance.

Let us know how you made out.

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Frankx said:
    @Phil

You're right, the type of payments you describe (payments on credit card balances, etc.) should probably not be reflected in the Cash Flow report.  I suggest that you take a look at your settings - specifically the handling of transfers. 

With the cash flow report open - click on the gear in the upper right corner > then click the Advanced tab > you'll see "Transfers" near the bottom > in the drop-down menu select "exclude all".  This will remove all those "intermdiate transfers" in your parlance.

Let us know how you made out.

Exclude all would exclude all transfers.  In my opinion, Exclude internal is the appropriate choice to exclude the transfers between the account included in the report and maintain the transfers between an included account and an excluded account.
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Frankx,

I just tried your suggestion and it doesn't work, because some of the transfers between included accounts are important. I guess I'm stuck with doing an Export to Excel and then editing out some rows.
    Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.
This discussion has been closed.