Windows file transfer to Mac user - Quicken ID question

Options
I am taking over a Quicken file for the treasurer of a non-profit. He uses Quicken Windows and I'm in the process of installing Quicken for Mac. If I'm importing a Windows based file for my use, do I need to set up my Quicken Mac with the same Quicken ID as the former user in order to access the file?

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you convert the Windows file, it will be converted over in a format that doesn't include the QuickenID. (And even if it does, you have the option to change the owner of the file to your Quicken ID.)

You will want to set up Quicken on your Mac with your ID-that way you can have your file(s) under your account. Then, File:New and import the Windows file. It will convert the file over to your ID.

You can use File:Open Recent to jump between files.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you convert the Windows file, it will be converted over in a format that doesn't include the QuickenID. (And even if it does, you have the option to change the owner of the file to your Quicken ID.)

You will want to set up Quicken on your Mac with your ID-that way you can have your file(s) under your account. Then, File:New and import the Windows file. It will convert the file over to your ID.

You can use File:Open Recent to jump between files.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You should be aware that once you switch to Quicken Mac, it may not be feasible to go back to Quicken Windows in the future. I don't know how often your organization changes treasurers, if the organization has investments you track in Quicken, or whether this would matter; just thought I'd mention  it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • yslwl
    yslwl Member
    Options
    thanks john_in_NC and jacobs!
This discussion has been closed.