Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Baffled with Stock transfer

The account I transferred stock from shows the correct number of shares and the correct cost basis being transferred. However, the account receiving the stock shows the correct shares but the cost basis is incorrect. I have not sold any shares of the stock . I did an investment transactions report for both accounts and compared the numbers and they are identical but the totals don't agree. Would like a suggestion as how to get the correct cost basis.

Best Answer

Answers

  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I did an investment transactions report for both accounts and compared the numbers and they are identical but the totals don't agree. "

    That is a confusing or surprising statement.  Please expound.  For example, how did you customize the report?  Did you subtotal by account?  Two separate reports for the two accounts?  All all these securities a single lot of each security?  How many securities are we talking about - a few, 10s, 100s? 

    The totals don't agree where?  The cost basis is incorrect where? 

    I would be looking at a portfolio view (Ctrl-U) that included shares and cost basis and the two accounts.  I would be adjusting the As of date between day before and day of transfer.  I might also make use of a Portfolio Value report and a portfolio Value and Cost Basis report.  I would have to think about how the Investment Transaction report might relate to cost basis.  (It probably does or should for Add Shares and remove Shares transactions.)

    I think your next step is to try to narrow this down to specific securities.     
      
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member ✭✭
    I will elaborate on my actions.
    I wanted to transfer 300 shares of stock from account "A" to account "B". Before making the transaction to transfer I did do a Portfolio value report and cost basis report for "A".
    I did the transfer from "A" to "B". After the transfer, I did a portfolio value report and cost basis in account "A" and "B". Account "A" showed zero stock which is correct. Account"B" showed the transfer of 300 shares. However, the cost basis shows an increase in account "B".
    I then did a transaction investment report "from earliest to date" for account "A"
    and account "B". I then compared the transaction reports and the reports both agreed since I had reinvested shares for a short time.
    End of story.
Sign In or Register to comment.