Why is Split Transfer Bill Reminders not supported in Quicken 2020

In earlier versions of Quicken there was a method to Create a Split Transfer Reminder from my bank account. How can a Split Transfer Reminder be setup in Quicken 2020?

Best Answers

• imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I found this by accident today: Add Transaction Reminder. It might help in the situation in this thread.

In the account register, right-click on an existing split transaction that does transfers to/from Accounts. Press and hold the Shift key and click on Add Reminder in the pop-up menu. You'll get a dialog named "Add Transaction Reminder" that has all reminder setup options on the same screen.

Change the 'Type' Radio button from 'Transfer' to 'Bill or Payment'.

Then, in the 'Track Spending' section at the bottom of the dialog, your split will appear. Click on the Split Button to review and/or modify your split. 

Make any other changes on the Add Transaction Reminder dialog and Save when done. It will appear as a Bill Reminder and not as an Income or Transfer, but it still accomplishes the desired result. 

You can add Bill and Income reminders to the Home screen as a Custom View and see them all as one list if you want to. You can also get and use this one size fits all Transaction Reminder dialog from the 'Add' and 'Edit' this instance and all future instances buttons on the reminders screen by the same Shift + Click method, but it appears that Selecting or Changing the Type is not an option that way.

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never used Transfer reminders before myself so I can't really comment on that.  But I do successfully set up split transfer reminders by setting up Bill and Income reminders.  Bill and Income reminders give you the ability to enter split categories/transfers.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• apodsim
    apodsim Member ✭✭
    Bill and Income Reminders does not allow split transfers. Only To and From account is shown in 2020. This no different than adding a reminder from the Tools menu. What version are you using as 2020 Ver. R24/14 does not have this option.
  • apodsim
    apodsim Member ✭✭
    The transaction is a Bill Payment with Two account categories setup to take advantage of 6, 12 or 24 month differed interest. Using the procedure you clearly defined, worked with the key being selection of a "Manual" reminder. After creating the split payment transaction when I try to "Link to reminder" for a On-line bill to the newly created split transaction and it was not listed. I had to use the On-line bill/Create a new Reminder/Add category to complete the link. I do not remember seeing the category option when I last created a reminder linked to a On-line bill. Perhaps creating a manual bill reminder made the change in Quicken.

Thanks for the direction. :) :)
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great!  I should have included the Online Bill reminder as an option but since I didn't I'm glad you figured that out for yourself.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Tmac62
    Tmac62 Member
    Can this be changed to allow transfer reminders to have split accounts? Makes no sense that bill & income do, but transfers don't
  • apodsim
    apodsim Member ✭✭
    Since posting this issue back in February 2020 this issue has been resolved however, the payee account transaction amount sometimes changes AFTER the transfer is entered. This does not occur every time and suggest any transfers to multiple accounts be monitored.
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I found this by accident today: Add Transaction Reminder. It might help in the situation in this thread.

In the account register, right-click on an existing split transaction that does transfers to/from Accounts. Press and hold the Shift key and click on Add Reminder in the pop-up menu. You'll get a dialog named "Add Transaction Reminder" that has all reminder setup options on the same screen.

Change the 'Type' Radio button from 'Transfer' to 'Bill or Payment'.

Then, in the 'Track Spending' section at the bottom of the dialog, your split will appear. Click on the Split Button to review and/or modify your split. 

Make any other changes on the Add Transaction Reminder dialog and Save when done. It will appear as a Bill Reminder and not as an Income or Transfer, but it still accomplishes the desired result. 

You can add Bill and Income reminders to the Home screen as a Custom View and see them all as one list if you want to. You can also get and use this one size fits all Transaction Reminder dialog from the 'Add' and 'Edit' this instance and all future instances buttons on the reminders screen by the same Shift + Click method, but it appears that Selecting or Changing the Type is not an option that way.

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

This discussion has been closed.