retrieve data when I forgot original activation code?

I just bought the latest Quicken. It is asking for the activtion key which I no longer have. How do I retrieve the existing data?

Best Answers

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
  • lindaloo
    lindaloo Member
    The challenge is that I bought my last Quicken when it was Intuit. I have the confirmation email but not the activation key that came with the download in 2017. Now I am trying to open the 2019 Quicken that I just "subscribed to". I want to access the existing data and I am repeatedly being asked for the activation code I am being asked for the activation code for the 2019 version too. Can you help?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @lindaloo ,

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

Add to the information, the following:

Where did you buy Quicken Subscription from?

Where did you download Quicken Subscription from?

How many computers did you install Quicken Subscription on?

We / I need information in order to help.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• lindaloo
    lindaloo Member
    Hi and thanks for both responses. As far as I know I followed the instructions provided.
    I bought the subscription from Quicken.com. I am Canadian. The download was to the sole computer I have and the one that also has Quicken 2016 (bought online in 2017).
    The Quicken ID that holds the data file is different from the one I used to buy and download the Quicken 2019 version. I did not recall any Quicken ID when I bought the earlier program for the computer. I think that is my problem. I just hope you can help. I tried changing the ID for the new program to be the same as the ID for 2016. That was one of the prompts for the activation key.
    I do not want to lose my historical data.
    I backed it up before downloading the Quicken 2019 but now cannot open it.
    I will have a file for the Quicken 2016 on my backup hard drive if necessary, but I would like the upgrade provided by the subscription.
    THanks for anything you can do to help me solve this little dilemma!
  • thecreator
    Hi @lindaloo ,

You purchased from Quicken.

Did you ever received, the Confirmation Email from Quicken.com?

Question? With the Quicken version that is still installed, have you gone into Quicken and click Help, then clicked Check Membership Status?

Have you even checked, Help > About Quicken?

• thecreator
    edited February 2020
    lindaloo said:
    Hi and thanks for both responses. As far as I know I followed the instructions provided.
    I bought the subscription from Quicken.com. I am Canadian. The download was to the sole computer I have and the one that also has Quicken 2016 (bought online in 2017).
    The Quicken ID that holds the data file is different from the one I used to buy and download the Quicken 2019 version. I did not recall any Quicken ID when I bought the earlier program for the computer. I think that is my problem. I just hope you can help. I tried changing the ID for the new program to be the same as the ID for 2016. That was one of the prompts for the activation key.
    I do not want to lose my historical data.
    I backed it up before downloading the Quicken 2019 but now cannot open it.
    I will have a file for the Quicken 2016 on my backup hard drive if necessary, but I would like the upgrade provided by the subscription.
    THanks for anything you can do to help me solve this little dilemma!
    Hi @lindaloo ,

The Quicken ID is different from the current Quicken ID.

For the Quicken Data File, that seems to require Activation, do you have access to Edit then Preferences?

You need to Sign in as a different user. Once Signed out, Sign in using your current Quicken User ID.

That's the problem. The File is not associated with the current Quicken User ID.

Activation, is not the problem.

This is what you are seeing:

Close Quicken. Now re-open Quicken to this screen.

Click Sign in as a different user, The Quicken User ID is already filled in, so you need to click where the arrow is pointing to.
    This instruction is for Quicken Data Files that have the wrong ID associated with the file.

This discussion has been closed.