Fix corrupted date file

dmtgs
dmtgs Quicken Mac Other Member ✭✭
I'm on an iMac running Sierra 10.12.6 and have both Quicken 2007 and 2019. In Quicken 2007, after entering an item in the register, Quicken quit. When I reopened the app, and selected the file I was using, I got the message: Quicken has found corrupt date in your file......
Anything I've found so far mentioned validate and repair. I cannot find this option in either Quicken apps. How do I fix this problem?

Best Answer

• dmtgs
    Answer ✓
    This was a real Murphy's Law instance. I use Time Machine as backup. When I found that the file was corrupt. my first thought was use Time Machine. When the app couldn't find the hard drive, I discovered that the hard drive crashed. Long story short, I downloaded info from my bank to Quicken 2019. I have some work to do, but I'm now comfortable with what's ahead of me.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND HELP !!

Answers

• dmtgs
    Thanks, Rick. I did find that article and none of the suggestions worked. I was able to get back info to 9/4/19. But, still hoping the file can be fixed. I've seen a suggestion of validate and repair (I think that is what it was), but can only find it for Windows, not Mac :(
  • jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    "Validate and repair" is a Windows-only thing. The Windows and Quicken 2007 databases are completely different. Did you do Command-Option-B to rebuild your file indexes? That fixes a lot of apparent date problems.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    RickO said:
    It sounds like you can't open the file now, so Command-Option-B isn't going to help. 
    Actually, it says " I was able to get back info to 9/4/19.…", so I was assuming the file is opening, just not showing all data. Missing data after a date, or dates out of order, are common corruptions in Quicken 2007, and re-indexing normally fixes those problems.  

@dmtgs  Do you have any backup files, either created by Quicken or via Time Machine or any cloud backup service? If you can revert to a relativelty recent backup and it doesn't show signs of corruption, that may be your easiest path forward.

(If you have no backups, take the pledge now: that you will in the near future set up an inexpensive external hard drive to run Time Machine -- it literally takes about two clicks to set and forget -- and never again have your Mac not backed up going forward!)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dmtgs
    Answer ✓
    This was a real Murphy's Law instance. I use Time Machine as backup. When I found that the file was corrupt. my first thought was use Time Machine. When the app couldn't find the hard drive, I discovered that the hard drive crashed. Long story short, I downloaded info from my bank to Quicken 2019. I have some work to do, but I'm now comfortable with what's ahead of me.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND HELP !!
This discussion has been closed.