Why is this specific report so "obscure"?

oldngrmpy1
oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
Occasionally I'll just sit down and walk through my Quicken subscription program, to check out some of the things I've just never thought of looking at or trying.  To my surprise, I found a report that is somewhat hidden, and if you didn't know it was there you'd never know it existed or how useful it is. The report I'm referring to is the "Register Report". It is not listed under the Quicken reports menu, where I think it would be utilized by many more users if they  knew about it. Well, it is located in an out-of the-way place, namely under the Actions (Gear) Icon on the top right of the register, Under "More Reports".  I've given it the name of "Phantom Report" because of it's obscurity. In all my reading blogs, looking in Help I've never heard it referred to. I mentioned this because I wish I'd know it before, as I'd would have been utilizing it a lot more. Why is it not listed in the "reports" menu? There are many more reports listed in "More Reports" but all the rest of them are listed in the standard "Reports Menu", why has this one been omitted?  I've found it to be very useful for my purposes. I'd recommend others to look at it and maybe find it as useful as I did. I've looked everywhere and haven't noticed it listed anywhere else.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Register Report is basically a Banking Transaction report that has been pre-customized so that it selects just the current account.

It would be way more useful if it included the running balance the way your register does.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think other just need to be aware of it...Wish I'd discovered it YEARS ago!
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing a Banking Summary report, but the format is way different...
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Register Report is basically a Banking Transaction report that has been pre-customized so that it selects just the current account.
    TJ102 said:
    I'm seeing a Banking Summary report, but the format is way different...
    Active reading, please. Reports > Banking > Transaction, not Summary.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know what I'd do without you Rocky. How come 2 different name designations for the same report?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not get totally confused here ...
    There are two Register Reports,
    1. The Register Report or "Print transactions", available from the register Actions gear / Print transactions
      or from the Menu File / Print (account name)
      or by pressing CTRL-P
    2. The Transaction (or Transaction Detail) report from the Reports / Banking menu or the Reports & Graphs Center
    Of these reports, only Report (1) shows a Running Balance. None of the other transaction - based reports do, because they can show transactions from multiple accounts and in that case, a Running Balance would be more or less useless.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually there seems to be a third report, accessed from the register Actions gear > More Reports > Register Report. This is what @TJ102 was discussing.

Somewhat confusingly it it is titled Register Report but it is apparently the same as a Banking > Transaction report that has been customized to include just the current register.  
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Let's not get totally confused here ...
    Oh, what the heck. Let's.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.