custom report - help needed

I have accounts in two banks and need reports from both. First report was fine, showing details for all categories; second report did not show all categories, despite several attempts to get complete information, using the same filters, as far as I can tell. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Which report, specifically, are you starting with? Can you provide more details about how you've set up the reports? Screenshots would be very helpful.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • helshaw55
    helshaw55 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for following up on my question. I knew I would need to provide more details but did not know where to start. For some reason my summary report was showing only the lines I had previously tagged "rental-related." While I waited for a reply, I spent my time working and re-working the variables on a summary report and finally got the results I needed by adding a tag (rental-related) to every entry I needed to have on the report. (This was for a bank account used only for income/expenses related to a rental.) I then customized the report by choosing "all" for categories and "any, tax-related") for tags.

It was probably a clunky work-around but trial and error seemed my only option at the time. I was frustrated by the fact that the report generated for my household bank account was just fine but I could not figure out what was different in the two reports.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Sounds like you've got it solved, but now I'm curious what is going on with this. The clunky workaround may not have been necessary.

You are using the current subscription version of Quicken Mac, right? And you are starting with Reports > Create Summary Report, right?

When you customize the tag entry for a report, there are two radio-button choices near the top of the customize pane. It sounds like you have the 2nd option selected as shown here:

In this case, only transactions that have at least one of the tags that are check marked in the list will be included. Specifically, if you have "No Tag" in the list unchecked, then transactions that do not have any tags will be excluded from the report. It sounds like this may be what was going on.

The simple solution to this is to choose the first radio button option as shown here:

This will disable tag filtering entirely and include transactions in the report regardless of their tags.

One thing you said is a bit confusing for me. You said: "choosing ... 'any, tax-related' for tags". As far as I know, there is no customize option named "tax-related" that you can choose for tags. Unless you meant that you just manually check marked the tags that you consider tax related. Is that what you meant?

Again, screenshots of your setup would be very helpful and probably allow you to get rid of the clunky workaround. Here's how to post screenshots here on the forum:

FAQ: Posting a Screenshot
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • helshaw55
    helshaw55 Member ✭✭
    1- When I set up my accounts, I added a custom tag "tax-related" so, at tax time, I could generate a report with only those entries, in order to simplify things.
    2- I do not use subscription Quicken because it is taking me a long time to learn all the ins and outs of Quicken 17. I have used Quicken (on my Macs) since the 90s and do not use most of the enhancements; so every update starts me on a new learning curve.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @helshaw55 Well, this is a case where the enhancements you don't want would have helped you. ;)  The reporting functionality and customizability have been improved considerably since Quicken 2017. Glad you cobbled together something that works for you.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.