Open additional Windows

Options
imdcareys
imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
Is there a method for opening multiple account windows, or say, being able to view the budget window alongside an account register. I have been using reports to work around this, but surely Quicken for Windows actually does Windows?

I did find a topic where users were saying they could right-click on an account and select "New Window" but I think that was in Quicken for Mac? Anyway, it is not working for me.

Thanks,

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can do what you want, but it may take you 3 Preference settings.
    First, you need to tell Q not to open directly to an account register. It needs to open to a Home page or anything which isn't an account. Otherwise you won't see the option to...
    Use pop-up registers. This is how to see multiple registers simultaneously. Mine is off; turn yours on.
    Finally, to prevent one window from minimizing another, you need to tell Q not to do that. Mine is on; turn yours off.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can do what you want, but it may take you 3 Preference settings.
    First, you need to tell Q not to open directly to an account register. It needs to open to a Home page or anything which isn't an account. Otherwise you won't see the option to...
    Use pop-up registers. This is how to see multiple registers simultaneously. Mine is off; turn yours on.
    Finally, to prevent one window from minimizing another, you need to tell Q not to do that. Mine is on; turn yours off.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try Edit > Preferences >Register > tick "Use pop-up registers" to see if that's any help.
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    Yes, you can do what you want, but it may take you 3 Preference settings. First, you need to tell Q not to open directly to an account register. It needs to open to a Home page or anything which isn't an account. Otherwise you won't see the option to (Image) Use pop-up registers. This is how to see multiple registers simultaneously. Mine is off; turn yours on. (Image) Finally, to prevent one window from minimizing another, you need to tell Q not to do that. Mine is on; turn yours off. (Image)
    >

Thanks so much for that Rocket (and Tom)! I really feared I was going to be laughed off of the community for even asking the question. This is going to be a huge help in the way I use Quicken. BTW, I set it to open up to the Budget screen 😊

• Andy
    Andy Member ✭✭
    Options
    Rocket, I changed preferences as clearly described (thanks for the screenshots). Opened Itemized Categories report and opened Planning/Budgets. Wanted to edit budget numbers while having Category details to available to edit budget numbers. Had them side by side. As soon as I selected Budget, the Category Report returned to its location at the bottom of the screen. Made two windows useless unless I could switch back and forth easily. Any Suggestions?
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Andy said:
    > Rocket, I changed preferences as clearly described (thanks for the screenshots). Opened Itemized Categories report and opened Planning/Budgets. Wanted to edit budget numbers while having Category details to available to edit budget numbers. Had them side by side. As soon as I selected Budget, the Category Report returned to its location at the bottom of the screen. Made two windows useless unless I could switch back and forth easily. Any Suggestions?

Andy,

It seems that whenever you change to a new screen in the Main Quicken window, it minimizes any pop-up windows you have open but they aren't closing them. While not perfect, you can just click back on the minimized window(s) you want to see and go back to reviewing them side-by-side.

• Andy
    Andy Member ✭✭
    Options
    Rocket, Disregard, I unchecked Minimize Windows and everything cool!
    Thank you.
  • Jonathan
    Jonathan Member ✭✭
    Options
    OMG - thank you for so clearly showing us how to do this. I, too, have been a Quicken user since the days of DOS and always assumed it couldn't be done and that it was just a Quicken thing. Oh, and that annoying "Minimize Windows" thing - all gone now!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.