How can I recover the password for a very old .QDF (2003?).

Options
I've tried all possible passwords that I may have used back then but have come up empty. What are my options?
Thank you,
BV

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As far as I know there isn't any recovery service for such an old data file.

Is it possible that you didn't use a password?
    If so maybe your problem is that the recent version of Quicken and open such an old data file and you need to use Quicken 2004 to open it (2004 is the usual cutoff for the recent versions of Quicken to support).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bill Verry
    Bill Verry Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Chris, Thanks for the rapid reply. I think I was protecting the data file with a password back in those days. I've tried Quicken 2005 & 2008 with the same results. I don't have a copy of Quicken 2004. I see from the link in your message Quicken 2013 may help. I'll give that a try and report back.
    Thank you.
  • Bill Verry
    Bill Verry Member ✭✭
    Options
    No joy with 2013, I still get the password challenge. Do you know where I can get a copy of 2004?
    Thanks.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can get 2004 on that link to covert to newer versions.  It's under converting from 98-2003
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Bill Verry
    Bill Verry Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yep, sure is. duh! Well that is where my luck hits a dead end. Same password challenge after trying with 2004. Is it 'game over'????
    Thank you.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Game over I'm afraid. That's why I personally hate using a password protected file and never will use it. There are other ways to secure a file, without unintentionally locking you out.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GeoffG said:
    Game over I'm afraid. That's why I personally hate using a password protected file and never will use it. There are other ways to secure a file, without unintentionally locking you out.

I don't use a password on my data file for the same reasons.  And also because given that Quicken can actually remove that password (they just don't do it for the older ones) that tells me that it isn't really that secure in the first place.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bill Verry
    Bill Verry Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I figured as much. Well I had the file on a corporate laptop and didn't want any of the IT monkies to get their hands on it. I've since taken a different approach by leaving that outfit and striking out on my own. Now *I* am the IT department. B) To be honest I have my doubts that the file is actually password protected since I've tried every password I may have used in my entire life! It could be the file is just plain corrupt and the data is lost and gone forever. Thanks to all those who tried to help
    Stay safe, stay well!
    BV
This discussion has been closed.