Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

Planning/Budgets issue

On Planning/Budgets tab, I have two categories ('Tax-Property' and 'Utilities and Services') with multiple subcategories under each. When looking at Annual View, Budget Only screen, the sub-category values all appear to be correct. However, the monthly total for 'Utilities and Services' is being added to the monthly total line for the 'Tax-Property' category. The 'Tax-Property' subcategories only have values for two months, January and September but the totals line is showing values for all months and has greatly overstated the yearly total shown.
Who do I report this to and how? My apologies if this is not the correct venue for this issue.
Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest
  • Per the attached screenshot:
    The values for the Utilities and Services sub-categories are correct and they roll up to the correct amount at the category level (587.37/month)

    There are only 2 values for the Tax-Property category (County Tax in January and School Tax in September).

    The roll up totals at the category level for Tax-Property appear to include the monthly total of 587.37 from the Utilities and Services category. This greatly overstates the 2020 Summary Budget total value for the Tax-Property category.

    Thanks
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm ... Utilities appears to be a parent category at the same level as Tax-Property.
    Was Utilities ever a subcategory of Tax-Property?
    Are you mixing and matching Category Groups within the subcategories of a parent category?
    I can only suspect that your budget has become damaged or there is something else wrong with your installed software.

    If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

    Still not working?

    Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems


  • Utilities and Services was never a subcategory (at least not on purpose). It is a relatively new category and all of its sub categories used to be at the category level until I moved them under Utilities and Services as sub categories. I thought it might be Category Groups causing the problem but when I looked at them, they did not seem related to the issue. Just for grins, I removed all custom category groups but it had no effect. Windows has been rebooted several times since I dicsoved this issue. I will try the Troubleshooting 101 steps next. Stay tuned!
  • I am using version 2020 R25.21which appears to be the current version.
    I went through the validation and super-validation steps from the document specfied above.
    The first validation appeared to complete and then unexpectedly closed the app, no warning or anything.
    I opened Quicken again, did the super-validation and checked the error log, which was HUGE! (5754 lines in the log). For example:

    [Fri Apr 10 11:04:22 2020]

    File: "D:\Quicken Backups\BACKUP\Qicken File Backup8_13_17.PM09.45Cpy"

    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.


    QEL:
    No read errors.

    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

    [Fri Apr 10 11:05:09 2020]

    The bulk of the errors in the log were relating to missing accounts, dating back to 1/3/2002. For example::

    The following transaction(s) were linked to account(s) that are no longer in Quicken. Quicken has changed them to indicate that the account was deleted. Please check them and set the category or destination account correctly. Make sure that this does not duplicate transactions.

    The validation process and 'fixes' totally hosed my data in the app so I restored a file from a couple days ago, which I have done before, no problem.

    What's next? Maybe I will try to remove the subcategories from Utilites and Services one at a time to see if any one category is causing the problem.
  • Update: I removed the Cell Phone subcategory (which itself has subcategories associated with it) from the Utilities and Services category. The result was a new monthly budget amount under the Tax-Property/Everything Else subcategory based on a supposed payment(s) from a single month last year. When I tried to look at the transactions using the Category History function, there were no transactions shown. Anyways, i zeroed the Tax-Property/Everything Else budget amounts, added the Cell Phone category back as a sub category of Utilities and Services, saved, closed and reopened Quicken and the problem appears to be solved. Not sure if having a Category/Subcategory/Subcategory scenario was the root cause of this issue but it appears to be solved now. Fingers crossed.
This discussion has been closed.