Individual Stock Dividends and IRR

Options
glennmacc
glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
OK, I've researched this question as best I can throughout Quicken community and have seen mostly confusing and conflicting answers. And most of the answers are in the Windows discussions, and I have QM2020. So here goes: I believe the IRR calculation for an account includes dividends from an individual stocks that remain in the account as cash, is that correct? The total value of the account shown in Quicken includes this cash, so I am assuming yes. If that is the case, then the next question is about IRR for individual stocks. I understand that reinvested dividends in mutual funds essentially are included in an IRR as they increase the value of the mutual fund, but for individual stocks, the dividend is cash and is not included in the value of the stock. So does Quicken "see" the cash dividend transaction and include it? Or not?

Thanks for the help.

Glenn

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @glennmacc,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

The Community may need more details to be able to further assist. Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version/release of Quicken you're using.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• glennmacc
    glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Natalie,

I understand the need to know all of the details for a post. As you can see in the post, I said I was using QM2020, though I failed to mention that it was under Mac OS 10.15.4. I guess I did not mention that because it really has no relevance as I was not really reporting a bug or problem of any sort, just asking the strategy that QM used to calculate IRR and how that might differ for full accounts vs. individual stocks or mutual funds.

Since nobody has been able to answer the question, I followed up by comparing some results from QM2020 to the XIRR function in Excel. As best I can tell, the dividends are included in the Quicken results, so I am answering my own question in the affirmative (IRR for individual stocks includes dividends) until or unless someone else has better information.

Thanks,

Glenn
This discussion has been closed.