Renaming Categories - Can we Differentiate between Bank Accounts ??

I have rental properties, but pay my own home utilities to the same company as my rental property utility bills, although from different bank accounts. Is there a way that Quicken would allow us to differentiate the renaming rules based upon BANK ACCOUNTS? That would help immensely!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to Account Details.  On the General tab at the top left you can name each account separately however you want to.  It has no impact on downloads...it just changes how it looks in your Accounts List and in reports.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    As far as setting up separate renaming rules for each bank account goes:  I don't know of any way to do that except for one possibility.  When your bank downloads do they include your bank account number or some other differential in the downloaded bank name?  For instance "Best Bank #123456" and Best Bank #78910"...same institution but different data.  If they do something like that and it is consistent from download to download then you could set up two separate renaming rules for them.

• BeckyOK
    BeckyOK Member
    THANKS!! I'll try that tomorrow!!! I'll let you know. Sure hopeful that it will work! I appreciate your feedback :smile:
  • Boatnmaniac
    Here's two other ideas you might want to consider:
    • You could rename your categories (ex., Electricity - Home) and then add new categories for the rental property (ex., Electricity - Rental).  Then as each transaction gets downloaded you just assign the appropriate category.
    • You could set up separate Tags for Home and Rental.  Then assign the appropriate tag to each download.
    I've used both of these methods for differentiating and they've worked really well for me.

This discussion has been closed.