Bank of America's two-factor authentication

Options
Hi there,

Every time I try to update my online accounts in Quicken Mac, I'm asked for my 2-factor authentication information for Bank of America.

I'm assuming that there is no way around this? I'm using Quicken Connect to connect to Bank of America.

I would love to use Direct Connect if that would get me around this extra step, but I guess that Direct Connect is no longer offered by Bank of America to people who never used it before?

Thanks,
Scott

Best Answer

Answers

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thanks so much! 

One thing that I realized is that this isn't really as bad as I thought it is, because as far as I can tell, Quicken for Mac can actually RECOGNIZE if there are new transactions waiting to be downloaded on the Bank of America server.

If there are NO TRANSACTIONS waiting to be downloaded, then it DOESN'T ask for the 2FA.

So, only if there ARE actual transactions waiting to be downloaded does Quicken actually prompt me for 2FA.

This is fine with me — my frustration was needing to keep entering the 2FA just to check if any transactions existed at all.

But if it only prompts me for 2FA when new transactions are actually there, then that's great! Because I know I'm entering my 2FA authentication for a reason.
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Scott Rose Excellent! Your Financial Institution and QMac are trying to lessen the number of times you are required to use 2FA. Thanks for posting in this thread the additional information. 

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Actually, I think I might have been wrong — it seems like Quicken will always bring up the 2FA box once upon relaunching Quicken (even if there are no new transactions to download), but it doesn’t pop up multiple times within the same session.
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Scott Rose
    It is possible you set up password for your data file (which would popup each time you start up the Quicken software). Strictly speaking, that is not a 2FA function.
    Alternatively, you might have the One Step Update set to run each time you open the data file, which could trigger a 2FA prompt.
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I’m actually talking about pressing shift-command-U after I launch Quicken. That always brings up the Bank of America 2FA screen one time only, even if I don’t have any transactions waiting for me to download. However, if I press shift-command-U again, the 2FA screen doesn’t come up anymore. It would be nice if Quicken didn’t bring up the 2FA at all if there were no transactions waiting on the server.

p.s. What is one step update?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    p.s. What is one step update?
    It is the Windows term for what shift-command-U does on the Mac.

Edit on Windows it would be Ctrl+1 or press a button for that purpose.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Ah, cool, thanks. This is called "Update All Online Accounts" on the Mac.

It actually took me a few months to get used to this new 2020 version of Quicken for Mac (I was upgrading from Quicken 2007), but it's actually pretty wonderful! :)

There are still a few things that need some work (manually editing stock prices from within the portfolio, handling payees needs a lot of attention, and the mobile app needs a significant amount of love) — but besides that, this new Quicken is pretty fantastic! :)
This discussion has been closed.