Home Before you Buy

I'm still on Quicken 2014. Data going back to 1995. Getting critical error codes & can't re-open?

I've been told that Quicken just can't handle a data file that large. I don't want to start over again, because there's a ton of information that goes back many years that I 'find' all the time and I don't want to lose it. Suggestions anyone?
The terrible error box started to come up when I used the 'enter transactions' function to pre-load upcoming bills. It says something like 'A critical error has occurred and the program needs to shut down. Do you want to send a report? (yes/no)' My Quicken is not even connected to internet, plus it's old with no support any longer, but no matter whether I say yes or no, the program shut down and I could not open it up again. I just kept getting the same 'critical error' message and it would shut down.
We removed the program and re-loaded it with the same CD we originally purchased (and re-loaded the data from a thumb drive), but that didn't solve the problem. It did exactly the same thing.
As a last ditch frantic effort, I finally found and purchased a brand new copy of Quicken 2014 and did the same exercise as above. Eureka! That seemed to clear up that particular problem. Now, just recently, I have a new action that causes the dreaded 'critical error' screen - again.
If I reconcile an account (like a credit card account, etc.), that function presents no problem. But, when I finish reconciling and get the window for entering the payment (I use handwritten checks), it crashes. The only way I have found around this is to reconcile the account, close the payment screen without selecting a payment method, then go into the register and enter the payment manually.
I can certainly upgrade to a newer version of Quicken, but I will just have ever growing data files, and I fear that at some point am I going to start crashing this program again. I mean the thing is ancient and as far as I can tell they've done nothing (over various owners) to address this data file handling issue.
I could convert my Quicken files and put them on Quickbooks instead. I have a copy of that for my brother's business, but I don't need it for that purpose anymore. Could I just create a new 'company' and load the quicken data into Quickbooks? I feel like it's going to be far more confusing to use Quickbooks, because I basically use Quicken for keeping track of deposits and paying bills, entering reminders, memorizing transactions, etc. I use it more like an old-fashioned ledger, but elevated with some great features that I've found super helpful over the years. Plus, I never upload or download anything to or from my banks and or other financial institutions. I do everything manually. I don't track investments (we have a financial advisor for that stuff). So Quickbooks seems like overkill and I think it's going to be confusing to use in any simple, straightforward manner as I have done with Quicken.
Will purchasing, say, a 2017 version solve this problem, or is it just inherent in having so much data going back to 1995?

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I've been told that Quicken just can't handle a data file that large. "
    Q's only limit on data file size is how much can your hard drive hold.
    So whoever gave you that info is mistaken.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • lulusandylulusandy Member
    You answered my question above (lulusandy) almost as soon as I posed it on May 5th, and I just wanted to update you on how it went.
    We promptly installed your recommended Mondo patch but I had to wait a bit until I had a credit card to reconcile so I could test it to see if the patch fixed the problem.
    Prior to this, once I cleared all the items and tried to clicked on 'hand-written check' (though it used to do the same thing when I tried 'printed check), it would always crash.
    Well, I just finished reconciling a big, fat credit card statement and gingerly clicked on payment method and - it didn't blow up!
    I was so paranoid when I started to reconcile that once I got everything 'cleared', I backed up the whole file on a thumb drive so I wouldn't lose all my work if it crashed again.
    Can't thank you enough for your help on this. The patch seems to have solved this problem. I'm hoping it's a fix for the long haul.
    Laura
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    lulusandy said:
    You answered my question above (lulusandy) almost as soon as I posed it on May 5th, and I just wanted to update you on how it went.
    We promptly installed your recommended Mondo patch but I had to wait a bit until I had a credit card to reconcile so I could test it to see if the patch fixed the problem.
    Prior to this, once I cleared all the items and tried to clicked on 'hand-written check' (though it used to do the same thing when I tried 'printed check), it would always crash.
    Well, I just finished reconciling a big, fat credit card statement and gingerly clicked on payment method and - it didn't blow up!
    I was so paranoid when I started to reconcile that once I got everything 'cleared', I backed up the whole file on a thumb drive so I wouldn't lose all my work if it crashed again.
    Can't thank you enough for your help on this. The patch seems to have solved this problem. I'm hoping it's a fix for the long haul.
    Laura
    Glad I could help and thanks for letting us know.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10