reporting splits: memo/notes vs. total field

Options
i am a longtime user of quicken for mac and have just upgraded from 2007 to 2020. i often split transactions and use within a single transaction both the memo/notes field and the "total" field (the total field is a text field shown within the split). i'm having trouble running a transaction report which shows both of these fields. column choices include memo/notes but not total. thanx in advance for your help.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    What you're seeing as the "Total" field is actually the Notes field. It's an unfortunate cosmetic mistake with the user interface; the word "Total" is a label for the amount that appears just to the left of it -- the total of the splits. But if you have a blank split line, you can see the word "Notes" in gray letters in the field to the right of the amount. 

When you run a report, Quicken combines the Memo/Notes field from the overall transaction and the Notes from the split.

Let's say I have a credit card transaction at Home Depot, and in the Memo/Notes field I typed "Outdoor Supplies". Then, one my first split line I typed a Note of "Mulch-10 bags" and on the second split I typed a Note of "Annuals & vegetables".

If I run a report for Payees including Home Deposit, I would see two lines in the report, one for each split line. The Memo/Notes field in the report would show "Outdoor Supplies:Mulch-10 bags" for the first split and "Outdoor Supplies:Annuals & vegetables" for the second split.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    What you're seeing as the "Total" field is actually the Notes field. It's an unfortunate cosmetic mistake with the user interface; the word "Total" is a label for the amount that appears just to the left of it -- the total of the splits. But if you have a blank split line, you can see the word "Notes" in gray letters in the field to the right of the amount. 

When you run a report, Quicken combines the Memo/Notes field from the overall transaction and the Notes from the split.

Let's say I have a credit card transaction at Home Depot, and in the Memo/Notes field I typed "Outdoor Supplies". Then, one my first split line I typed a Note of "Mulch-10 bags" and on the second split I typed a Note of "Annuals & vegetables".

If I run a report for Payees including Home Deposit, I would see two lines in the report, one for each split line. The Memo/Notes field in the report would show "Outdoor Supplies:Mulch-10 bags" for the first split and "Outdoor Supplies:Annuals & vegetables" for the second split.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • anna saint john
    anna saint john Member ✭✭
    Options
    awesome! thank you for your speedy, and accurate, reply. this is just how i use the program. what i see now is the memo/notes column on the report wasn't wide enough to show all the info. thanx again.
This discussion has been closed.