reporting splits: memo/notes vs. total field

i am a longtime user of quicken for mac and have just upgraded from 2007 to 2020. i often split transactions and use within a single transaction both the memo/notes field and the "total" field (the total field is a text field shown within the split). i'm having trouble running a transaction report which shows both of these fields. column choices include memo/notes but not total. thanx in advance for your help.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2020 Accepted Answer
    What you're seeing as the "Total" field is actually the Notes field. It's an unfortunate cosmetic mistake with the user interface; the word "Total" is a label for the amount that appears just to the left of it -- the total of the splits. But if you have a blank split line, you can see the word "Notes" in gray letters in the field to the right of the amount. 

When you run a report, Quicken combines the Memo/Notes field from the overall transaction and the Notes from the split.

Let's say I have a credit card transaction at Home Depot, and in the Memo/Notes field I typed "Outdoor Supplies". Then, one my first split line I typed a Note of "Mulch-10 bags" and on the second split I typed a Note of "Annuals & vegetables".

If I run a report for Payees including Home Deposit, I would see two lines in the report, one for each split line. The Memo/Notes field in the report would show "Outdoor Supplies:Mulch-10 bags" for the first split and "Outdoor Supplies:Annuals & vegetables" for the second split.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2020 Accepted Answer
    What you're seeing as the "Total" field is actually the Notes field. It's an unfortunate cosmetic mistake with the user interface; the word "Total" is a label for the amount that appears just to the left of it -- the total of the splits. But if you have a blank split line, you can see the word "Notes" in gray letters in the field to the right of the amount. 

When you run a report, Quicken combines the Memo/Notes field from the overall transaction and the Notes from the split.

Let's say I have a credit card transaction at Home Depot, and in the Memo/Notes field I typed "Outdoor Supplies". Then, one my first split line I typed a Note of "Mulch-10 bags" and on the second split I typed a Note of "Annuals & vegetables".

If I run a report for Payees including Home Deposit, I would see two lines in the report, one for each split line. The Memo/Notes field in the report would show "Outdoor Supplies:Mulch-10 bags" for the first split and "Outdoor Supplies:Annuals & vegetables" for the second split.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • anna saint john
    anna saint john Member ✭✭
    awesome! thank you for your speedy, and accurate, reply. this is just how i use the program. what i see now is the memo/notes column on the report wasn't wide enough to show all the info. thanx again.
This discussion has been closed.