placeholders

Options
Ross Dillon
Ross Dillon Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I moved my investments to a new broker and created new accounts in Quicken. The investments started showing up in the account before transactions downloaded. As such Quicken inserted placeholders to reflect the value the account was reporting. When the transactions finally downloaded they showed as a Match to the placeholders.

...except that when accepted the transactions did not populate the values in the placeholders. I learned the hard way that I need to delete the placeholders before accepting the Matching transaction.

#sigh

Comments

• ftyminski
    ftyminski Member ✭✭
    Options
    So Quicken generates all placeholders? User cannot?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ftyminski said:

Placeholder transactions are created by Q, only Q, when the downloaded position(s) don't match with what's recorded in Q.  They represent the adjustment need to bring the quantities into agreement.
    What sort of placeholders do you think need to be user generated?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Ross Dillon did you move the transactions from the old account to the new?  Or what?
    In your situation (new broker) I would have simply de-activated the accounts from download, renamed the accounts, and re-activated them.
    After all, to you, it's all the same.
    If it hasn't been to long since you made the switch, and if you have a backup from just before the switch, you might consider my method anyway.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NotACPA said:
    ftyminski said:
    Placeholder transactions are created by Q, only Q, when the downloaded position(s) don't match with what's recorded in Q. … 
    A user can enter a manual transaction with Action = AdjShBal or through the Enter Transactions button that is a placeholder.  As noted, this is different than using the gear icon menu Adjust Share Balance option. 

Not sure exactly why one might make such a manual entry unless just biding time will the history got filled in.   
This discussion has been closed.