Investment Account Balances into Quicken

I have a number of Fidelity funds which require me to manually enter the current share price. Is there some way for me to just pull the current account balance into quicken? I really don't need to track individual transactions within the fund. I can use the Fidelity web site for that. All I want is the ability to automatically create a balance sheet with current information.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The short answer is No, when downloading it is all or nothing.

However if you don't want to track all the details and don't care about Quicken's ability to track capital gains and losses, dividend income, or investment performance, you can create a fake security in Quicken called "Fidelity assets" or whatever priced at $1.00 and periodically Add or Remove shares to match the account balance.

Quicken was changed recently so that the "Update share balance" option from the account's Gear menu facilitates this. Note this is different from the "Adjust share balance" option in Enter Transactions.

QWin Premier subscription
  • David Minches
    David Minches Member ✭✭
    Jim, thanks for your response. As each investment company’s web site gets more sophisticated I am finding it less important to track gains and loss, etc. in Quicken. Plus, the fact that a lot of prices are not properly grabbed by Quicken makes their balances meaningless unless I want to spend time every day typing in numbers.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    An extension to my previous post:

If you are transferring money in out out of the account or making deposits and withdrawals, you can still do that with the approach I described above and the cash will show up in the account's cash balance. If you want, you can Buy or Sell the fake security to match the account's actual cash balance, which is often zero.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.