Q19 R26.23 (Latest!) Will Not Allow File Operations

Options
I am having difficulty effecting file operations after the 26.23 upgrade. When I have a file open, key FILE drop-down operations will not work including "open", "backup file", "save a copy as". File validation fails when I try it. Once I exit, opening another Q file (and I keep several) is difficult unless I CTRL-SHFT on startup. I should be able to open another file directly from the file menu. I did the latest Mondo release and tried validating files from the startup menu but get consistently "unable to open item list file". I've had 15 flawless years with Quicken so I am puzzled.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken 
  • Stavros
    Stavros Member ✭✭
    Options
    Tried a complete uninstall and clean install of R26.23 using the instructions noted. The program is not saving data entries and I have no ability to effect file actions like "backup" or "open" new files. Something is wrong in the program itself... it began acting up immediately after the last update.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Stavros
    Stavros Member ✭✭
    Options
    I did all the steps noted using QClean as well as a variety of file deletions and use of CCleaner to completely strip Quicken from my machine and reinstall with a downloaded copy of the latest Quicken. No antivirus running except for Defender and all other protective devices shut off. After opening one or more data files (only from the CTRL-SHFT menu) I still have no file operations capability... can't save, can't backup, the program will not perform anything related to a file. My next step will be to install Quicken on another computer, totally virgin install, and move the data files over there to see what happens. This all began occurring after a Q automatic update.
  • Stavros
    Stavros Member ✭✭
    Options
    After cleaning/reinstalling Q19 for Windows and with significant help from Quicken Support, I finally pinned this file issue down to a setting in Windows Settings>Windows Security>Virus & Threat Protection>Virus and Threat Protection Settings>Manage Settings. Look for "Controlled Folder Access" and "Allow an App Through Controlled Folder Access" . Click "Add an App" and search for QW.Exe to add it as a safe app. Adding QW as a safe app all of a sudden gave me back a stable QuickenW19 and the ability to open, backup and validate files. Not sure why this happened to me around May 9th but I have experienced major Windows and Quicken upgrades recently. At that time, the program stopped saving data and allowing me to access any file operations. My other lesson learned is to always keep a clean, recent backup of every data file in a different directory from which you can restore.
This discussion has been closed.