Recent problem with opening Quicken (latest update) WIn 10

I use quicken daily, used it yesterday no issues. Today, I went to open it and got the message "DPIInfo.exe configuration parser error 0xC00CE508. I have the most recent windows update (that was installed a few days ago and no problem until today). I run a Lenovo desktop. I have looked high and low and can't find any info on this. Windows 10. I have tried holding down CTRL when starting quicken, no good, tried opening a file directly, no good. Tried starting in safe mode, no good. ANy ideas? I cannot open the program at all.

Best Answer

• jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Done..had to reinstall windows 10 (recovery mode) and yep it does delete all the programs you put on it (Microsoft calls them apps)...now quicken runs fine. What a slog this was, thanks to all for your suggestions. So..i was a WINDOWS 10 issue, not a Quicken issue.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi @jsjb100,

What versions (and builds) of Quicken and Windows are you using?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    Win Enterprise version 2006 for X64 sytems...for quicken i uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version (subscription) but i can't open it so cannot tell you exactly the version but its up to date
  • jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    Sorry that win 10 version is 2004 update...my mistype above
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would try uninstall using this procedure (the second one that renames (I would delete) the folders) and then reinstall.
    Using QcleanUI to Fix Installation Issues with Quicken for Windows

DPIInfo.exe is a program in the Quicken program directory so either it, one of the DLLs it calls or some kind of configuration file seems have been corrupted.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    I followed the directions you gave...no luck..after i saved my datafiles, i deleted the 3 files/folders, cleaned the registry, rebooted, reinstalled...no luck. I even uninstalled the WIn 10 2004 update. Quicken runs fine on my surface pro (clean install today).... Any other ideas please???
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest that you contact Quicken Support tomorrow - here's the link https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

When you run QCleanUi.exe, make sure to dot Clean All, not just installed.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• macpa905
    macpa905 Member
    Not sure if this is the same problem that I have. I am new to the group but not new to Quicken Home and Business. I am on H&B 2017 full install on my laptop. I an not running from subscription. Entered transactions today just fine. When I closed out, backed up and it ran an update and asked to make changes to my computer. I agreed. Now I cannot open the program. It boots to the logo but will not open? Any suggestions? Is this a Quicken H&B or a Windows issue. My system says that it did not install the Windows update as my computer is not ready for it so I assume it did not run? Hoping someone can help.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See if this mondo patch will correct your issue. The latest is dated 5/17 for your version, so not sure what may have tried to install.

• jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    Tried the Mondo patch for the latest subscription version of quicken...when I run the patch, I get multiple parsing errors (4 errors total). I will uninstall, quicken, clean the windows registry using cc cleaner, use the QCleanUI using clear all, and then reload quicken and try the patch again. So odd...because on another win 10 computer, I loaded quicken and it runs fine. Thanks for the current suggestions I appreciate any other thoughts. If this fails and no one else has suggestions, I will call support.
  • jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    OK..just did the following:
    1. Saved data files
    2. Used QCleanUI (clear all)
    3. Deleted (instead of renaming) the 3 quicken files/folders suggested on the quicken website
    4. Cleaned registry using CC Cleaner
    5. Turned off computer then on to restart (hard boot)
    6. Downloaded quicken subscription file from website (latest version)
    7. Installed quicken...got DPIInfo error when trying to start it
    8. Closed error box and tried to install mondo patch from quicken website (latest update). Got 4 more errors
    9. Unable to start quicken still get DPIInfo error
    10. I'm tried of BUGSPLAT popping up each time

There were no changes to computer between saturday when i used quicken and sunday when i tried to use it and started getting this DPIInfo error. I will call support later...I'm quite frustrated as you might imagine!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @jsjb100,

Sorry to hear that, but support should be able to help you.

Let me know how that goes and what the issues were.  Thanks!

Frankx

• jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    Spent an hour with quicken support, no luck, we tried many things. They believe it is a microsoft issue, perhaps due to the recent updates, I am skeptical but trying to contact microsoft now
  • jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    Well, microsoft wasnt' a big help...tried a few things...he agreed that the problem is most likely net framework 4.0... but they don't allow you to remove it anymore...and cannot reinstall it because the program says "already installed". So..i'm doing a windows recovery now...we will see, its a pain cause you have to reload your programs, fortunately we both use macs for most of the stuff we do..so not a lot of stuff to reload.
  • jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Done..had to reinstall windows 10 (recovery mode) and yep it does delete all the programs you put on it (Microsoft calls them apps)...now quicken runs fine. What a slog this was, thanks to all for your suggestions. So..i was a WINDOWS 10 issue, not a Quicken issue.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jsjb100,

Glad to hear you've gotten it fixed and thanks for letting us know the ultimate issue and outcome.

Frankx

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsjb100 said:
    Hi @jsjb100 ,

When you do a Recovery Mode, it wipes out all settings and Customer Programs and settings.

Are you allowing the Windows Task Manager to run in the Notification Area, so you monitor the CPU, graphically?

Are you aware that Microsoft installs updates in the Background and then alerts you to restart, when necessary?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    I am not running task manager in the notification area. Yep i am aware about microsoft windows updates....

Honestly, i'm a MAC user for years, only keep a windows computer around for others in the house and since we have been using Quicken for over 10 years, we just keep it on windows (the Mac version doesn't seem to be so robust).

In terms of recovery..well, the Microsoft advisor swore to me that it didn't wipe out apps...but i read their own documentation and told him..yes it does..and i informed him after recovery that it did wipe out apps (programs). I don't keep many programs on the computer other than quicken and a couple of old programs that others use. So, not a big deal to reload them...but of course, it was a pain anyway (still trying to fix things up on that computer).

Anyway quicken runs fine now...so i'm happy about that!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jsjb100 The problem with talking to Microsoft about what recovery does is that their use of the term "Apps".  As these days most use the term apps to mean any program, but in general Microsoft uses the term to mean the "store apps".  Windows will automatically restore those "store apps", but not programs/apps installed the "regular way" like Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jsjb100
    jsjb100 Member ✭✭
    Correct...but their advisor didn't know that told me no "apps" would be wiped out...anyway, its all working now
This discussion has been closed.