I am running Q 2017 and have no intention of updating to the subscription version.

I am running Q 2017 and have no intention of updating to the subscription version. If I install the 20.2 update, exactly what happens? Will I continually get a nag to update to the subscription model? What is in the 20.2 update as Quicken is not really upfront with updates and the consequences?

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Quicken tells us very little of what is included in updates and that is a point of frustration for many of us.  We get to see just very high level summaries of what the major changes were.  Unfortunately for you, those high level summaries are available on Quicken's website only for the currently supported versions and QW 2017 is no longer supported so information on 20.2 is no longer listed.  But I did find this Community thread about it:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7874439/release-notes-for-2017-r20-2 but it will disappoint you.
    A couple of things you should be aware of:
    1. Since QW 2017 is no longer supported you will not be able to download it from Quicken.  You can, however, download and install (at your own risk) for free the Mondo patch for it from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html.
    2. If you do decide to update with this Mondo patch and if you run into any installation problems or product performance issues you will not be able to get support from Quicken to resolve them...because they no longer support QW 2017.  However, you can seek help in resolving those issues here in Community.
    3. Updating to 20.2 with the Mondo patch will not get rid of those annoying prompts to upgrade to subscription.  The only way to get rid of those annoying adds is to upgrade to subscription.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am running Q 2017 and have no intention of updating to the subscription version. If I install the 20.2 update, exactly what happens? Will I continually get a nag to update to the subscription model? What is in the 20.2 update as Quicken is not really upfront with updates and the consequences?
    Any "nagging" you get won't be caused by updating to R20.2.  When Quicken starts it always looks for updated information even if it is no longer supported, and in that information can be a "push ad" that will prompt you about an offer to update.  If Quicken Inc will sends such an ad, and for how long they will send new such ads is "unknown", they do tend to send them even after the version has expired, but eventually stop.

I haven't tested this, but something like this might work to avoid these ads.
    In C:\ProgramData\Quicken\config\Quicken.ini there are two lines.
    Periodic_update_period=4
    Periodic_last_update=6/16/2020

These control how often Quicken checks for updates.  So in theory if you set the periodic update period to a very large number it shouldn't check for updates.  Or maybe set the last update, date to far in the future.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rick -Q17P User
    Rick -Q17P User Member ✭✭
    Thanks Boatnmaniac and Chris_QPW for the response.

I had downloaded 20.2 some time ago but never installed it as many times there is usually a 'nag' to update after install.

I ran the update with no issues and there are no follow on requests as the Q17 works with no problem. And yes I had thought about the .ini file but if the update didn't solve the problem that would have been my next option.

Some time ago (couple of years) I had voiced my opinion on the lack of clear information on updates provided by Quicken which was causing havoc to most every Quicken user. Therefore I was apprehensive about the update.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Rick -Q17P User - Thanks for getting back to us.  Sorry about my misunderstanding about the nagging requests to update.  I was thinking of what happens with subscription when the subscription expires and you get nagged to resubscribe.  The "update" prompts is a different matter and your updating to the new revision should stop that for awhile.

• Rick -Q17P User
    Rick -Q17P User Member ✭✭
    No worries .. Its fine .. I don't do subscriptions anyway, never have. Usually if you get out of a software package you get nagged all the time and I wanted to make sure that's all.
    Actually I was using Chekfree in the late 80s and Quicken in the 90s which was all manual anyway. I changed to manual last year.
    I don't have to deal with downloads and or the OSU which I never used anyway and I don't have to deal with changes in bank protocols either.

Enjoy the day
  • Boatnmaniac
    Rick -Q17P User - BTW, there was one more Mondo patch for QW2017 released (20.5).  You might want to keep that link I posted above for future download of it or download it now and save it for sometime in the future if/when you start getting those nagging update messages, again.

This discussion has been closed.