Deluxe update was wrong version

Options
This is just a heads-up in case it happens to other folks, so they know they are not alone. Today I clicked on the "update available" button in my Quicken Deluxe and the update it installed was the "Home, Business and Rental Property" version. What a headache. Couldn't open Quicken. My backups were rendered incompatible. I spent over an hour cleaning it all up, uninstalling, cleaning the registry, downloading the appropriate file from my account page on the Quicken website. I'm still a big fan of Quicken and what the new ownership has done and is doing, but this glitch was a pain. FYI.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While what you did solved your issue, you could have accomplished the same by going to Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id and then login as a different user using the same Quicken Id.
    This updates your installation as to what your subscription allows.
    Every patch works with all of the editions, Starter thru Home & Business, it just messed up the subscription information in your installation.
    Further more, every installation of Quicken is capable of Starter thru H&B, the subscription determines what you are allowed to do.
    So, your interpretation of events, the "Deluxe update was wrong version", is incorrect.  The patch updates are NOT edition specific.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Robert Keesecker
    Robert Keesecker Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, OK. That's a solution. I would never have come up with that and didn't find anything online to suggest it. Perhaps that is because that solution is a bit convoluted - not intuitive. I can't imagine anyone coming up with it. My statement that the "Deluxe update was wrong version" played out to be true in my case, because as you said, "it just messed up the subscription information in your installation."

Hence, my post. Sorry for being an ignoramus.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, OK. That's a solution. I would never have come up with that and didn't find anything online to suggest it. Perhaps that is because that solution is a bit convoluted - not intuitive. I can't imagine anyone coming up with it. My statement that the "Deluxe update was wrong version" played out to be true in my case, because as you said, "it just messed up the subscription information in your installation."

Hence, my post. Sorry for being an ignoramus.
    No one implied that you are an "ignoramus", just mistaken in your conclusions.
    If you were to be a new user of Quicken and bought it in a box.  After it was installed and prior to logging in with your Quicken Id and using the activation code to tell Quicken which edition you purchased, the title bar at the top left corner would indicate that you have Home & Business edition.  Once the activation code is applied and you register, it would change to the correct edition.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.