Do Renaming and Quickfill rules work in coordination?

For example, let's say some downloaded transactions contain the phrase "ACME GAS" in them, and others contain "ACME STORE." I can set up renaming rules to name the Payee to "ACME GAS" or "ACME STORE" as appropriate, but I also want to categorize them differently, i.e. one is fuel, and one is a purchase.

If I create Quickfill rules for the newly renamed payees, will the renaming and quickfill rules automatically trigger in sequence when I next download transactions? It SEEMS logical that it would work this way, but the UI doesn't make that clear. I've also browsed the help and the release notes and don't see this specifically called out.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes they work together.  And in fact that is the main reason for renaming rules, to "normalize" the payee so that the Quickfill can match it and fill in the other information like the category.

It is very common to have payee like "Safeway #343434".  Needless to say if that payee is left the way it is any you use a Quickfill rule on it the next time you purchase something the #xxxxx will change and make it so that it won't match.  So the renaming rules are there to change to something consistent like just Safeway.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes they work together.  And in fact that is the main reason for renaming rules, to "normalize" the payee so that the Quickfill can match it and fill in the other information like the category.

It is very common to have payee like "Safeway #343434".  Needless to say if that payee is left the way it is any you use a Quickfill rule on it the next time you purchase something the #xxxxx will change and make it so that it won't match.  So the renaming rules are there to change to something consistent like just Safeway.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Just Lurking
    Just Lurking Mac Beta Beta
    Great, thanks for confirming. I find it odd how the Renaming Rules are not more logically linked to the QuickFill rules in the "Payees & Rules" interface. I guess that's a side-effect of the QuickFill rules being a recent addition to QMac...
This discussion has been closed.