My save button suddenly disappeared.

Options
My save button suddenly disappeared. In my register It seems to have changed into an Icon. I'd like to change it back to a displayed button. I've tried many of the suggestions but it hasn't helped.

Best Answers

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    What version of Quicken are you using on what platform? Please post a screenshot of what you're seeing if possible.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • tmarra01
    tmarra01 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, I figured it was recently changed and just noticed it changed after an update today.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Same here. Why break something that already works. I do not like the fact that I must double click the save icon. How can I change it to a single click?
  • Gerry429
    Gerry429 Member
    Options
    Yes. Please either restore the save button, or make the green "save" icon larger. It's too small, and slows up my daily work in Quicken.
  • GLE81342
    GLE81342 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well, after the update R27.24 there is a change in the checking register. There was a save button in the lower right corner to use after making each new transaction. Now it appears it has been changed to a little green box that looks like a floppy disc. If I am correct that it is a floppy disc icon, floppy discs haven't been used in years why has the more simple save button been changed????
    I have been the treasurer of my church for 15 years and in the event that I am no longer able to do this, I have been writing a manual of all the steps that I do to keep records and pay bills that are necessary for my position. I feel like if it isn't broke why change things in Quicken to make it more complicated to view. The save button spoke for itself. After the update I looked and looked for it, seeing the little green box that was new to me I clicked on it and found it had replaced the save button.
    What in the world is the purpose for this change???? I feel it is very unnecessary!!!!! It is of no benefit at all !!!!!
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @GLE81342 - Your post was merged into another recent thread on this subject.  Please review the above.  In my last post in this thread I'd suggested that a New Idea post be made if this is a desired change so that users can vote for it and it then has an opportunity to get perhaps get placed into Quicken's development plans.  I did not see that this has been done so feel free to post it yourself.  If you do this, please reply to this post thread so the others can go there and vote for it if they wish to. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• ewkrone
    ewkrone Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have issues with the new size of the "save" button? I have to "aim" several times to find the right place on the button for it to activate and save my transaction... Very annoying.... In the older version it wasn't an icon, but simply the word "Save" and I never had an issue. How can we get this modified?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @ewkrone - There have been other posts about this that have been merged together at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20102538#Comment_20102538.  I've requested that your post be merged with it.  Please review it.  I still don't see the requested change posted as a product enhancement as I'd suggested so if this is something you really want changed then post it at the link in this merged post string.

• ewkrone
    ewkrone Member
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate your quick response and the link. I will request it.....
  • ewkrone
    ewkrone Member
    Options
    I have Quicken R27.28 and the small save icon is too small. I have to click several times, re-aiming the pointer each time, before the transaction is finally saved. Please change it back to the word "Save" or some other larger button. I have always been happy with the "Save" button. Why even change it in the first place.......
  • Charles Hadlock
    Charles Hadlock Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. The new green "save" icon is too small.

Quicken for Windows user since 1993 | Windows 11

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please remember that, as an alternative to clicking the Save icon with your mouse, you can always use the Enter key* (or press CTRL-Enter) to save your transaction.
    * The setting of "use Enter key to move between fields" in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill determines what you can do:
    Not enabled: Tab - Tab from field to field in a register, press Enter to save transaction
    Enabled: Press Enter to move from field to field, press CTRL-Enter to save transaction.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. The new green "save" icon is too small.
    The ironic part of this is I will bet that one of the motivations for changing the save button was to make it smaller as to save space and to make it the same size as the other buttons in the column.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remember back when the button was labeled Enter? Q folks decided that was too long to fit in the space and changed it to Save just so it would fit.
    Now, it's what? An anachronistic floppy disk? Who even remembers what that's supposed to mean? Backup to floppy? Save to floppy?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Remember back when the button was labeled Enter? Q folks decided that was too long to fit in the space and changed it to Save just so it would fit.
    Now, it's what? An anachronistic floppy disk? Who even remembers what that's supposed to mean? Backup to floppy? Save to floppy?
    Yeah, I get a kick out of that.  But it seems the floppy disc image has become to saving files what Kleenex is to facial tissues.  It's interesting to listen to people in the <40 age group who know that a floppy disc image is for saving a file but don't even know what a floppy disc is!  :smiley:

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm an old user and just have QW2013 but I enjoy reading all the forum posts.  Could someone post a screen shot of the new green floppy save icon for me to see what you're all talking about?  I did use floppies.  Had a Vic20 and Commodore 64, etc.  I was keypunch operator and punched little square holes in the IBM cards.  Still have a stack of them for notepads.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    It's interesting to listen to people in the <40 age group who know that a floppy disc image is for saving a file but don't even know what a floppy disc is!  :smiley: 
    And I'm sure they use vanilla folders at their desk to organize all their documents.   :smile:

People love to talk about this or that being "intuitive", but the truth is that it is all just learned, and when you change anything, you are going to have people react to it.
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Skeuomorph design is used within Quicken. Green floppy disk, vanilla folder symbol, postal address formatting, the "gear" symbol, the "+" symbol - all variations on the theme.

Why does Quicken use skeuomorphs? It works well for most people in most circumstances, and is it a very common graphic user interface design.

Sorry @volvogirl, we haven't figure out a way to incorporate a punch card skeuomorph design into Quicken yet!  ;)
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Always happy to learn a new word.
    The link supplied by @Quicken Hugh turns up this:

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options
    It's interesting to listen to people in the <40 age group who know that a floppy disc image is for saving a file but don't even know what a floppy disc is! 
    I saw a cartoon not long ago where an older person is holding an actual floppy in his hand. The younger person says, "Wow, you laser-printed a Save icon!"

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Rocket J Squirrel - Please be sure to read the next sentence too.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Options
    I read it, @Quicken Hugh . The specific problem here is that the icon is tiny and green. I really had to squint at it to decide it was a floppy. And a 5.25" floppy, at that! And why green? I don't believe I've ever seen a green 5.25" floppy.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options
    Aside: In the old days, we just called them "icons." Here is the first Xerox Star print ad from 1981, which sits framed in my office. Note the yellow highlighted text. Also note the bar chart on the happy user's screen. I wrote the code that implemented that bar chart.

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Rocket J Squirrel. We are happy to receive the feedback that the image is too small. I will submit a product enhancement request about this concern.

I don't have any old green disks on hand, but there have been variations on the theme. At the end of the day, it's got to be some color. Green is nice, yes? (There is rather quite a bit of information about color theory in design. I'll let you go down that rabbit hole by yourself.)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options
    The Save icon is actually a representation of the older 5.25" generation of floppy. Unlike the 3.5" ones in your photo, these were actually flexible. And less likely to be recognized. Who still remembers 8" floppies?
    I'm further going to take issue with the sentence from the referenced article:
    Proponents, on the other hand, argue that humans can never become as accustomed to the digital world as we are to the physical world—so, simple skeuomorphism will continue to be helpful.
    I don't know when that was written, but we have humans alive today who are at least as, and possibly more, accustomed to the digital world than to the physical.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I read it, @Quicken Hugh . The specific problem here is that the icon is tiny and green. I really had to squint at it to decide it was a floppy. And a 5.25" floppy, at that! And why green? I don't believe I've ever seen a green 5.25" floppy.
    Clearly this is the most "modern" floppy disk (3 1/2" like from @""Quicken Hugh" image).  :D  Notice the corner?

BTW on its own, this icon is very "jarring", since it is the only one that is colored.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.