Edit paid bills to link to current transaction in registry.

I like to pay my bills early to have them show in the registry so I know my money ahead of time. For example, I renewed 2 domain names that were due July 17 and August 08 at the same time on July 16th for 28.16 each. I mark them as paid so they show up in the registry twice. Now when I sync, I have a charge come in from my bank showing as Godaddy for 56.32 and I can't link the bills to the this transaction and they don't show in the bills paid report either. How can I correctly classify the downloaded to transaction for these 2 bills?

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi, @blitzhouse - I don't know of any way that you can match a single downloaded payment transaction to two separate manually entered payment transactions.
    For this instance, you have two options from my perspective:
    1. Delete one of the manually entered payment transactions.  Then split the category in the other manually entered payment transaction where you can record each of the Godaddy accounts separately.  Then, if you haven't already entered the downloaded bank transaction into your register, you can match it to the remaining manually entered transaction.
    2. Delete both manually entered transactions.  Then split the category for the downloaded transaction to show separate Godaddy accounts details.  (Note:  If you already accepted the downloaded transaction into your register, then this option is what you'll need to use.)
    If you are not familiar with splitting categories, here are instructions from Quicken's Help (this is a bit hard to read here...you can search for "transaction with multiple categories" in your Quicken's Help and it will be easier to read there):

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Boatnmaniac said, you can't have a single credit card or checking account transaction apply to two separate bill reminders.
    It would have been easier to pay one of them today and the other one 1 or 2 days later, to get two separate downloaded transactions.
    As an alternative, what small business users like to do when 2 or more separate transactions need to be merged to one bank transaction, is to use an intermediate cash or checking account. What applies to receiving several checks into a summary deposit in the following write up also applies to this case.
    Intermediate deposit account for HB&R (a.k.a. "Suspense Account"):

When you receive multiple payments by check per day but only make one summary deposit to your bank ...

- Create a cash (or manual checking [*]) account, named something like "Checks to Deposit" with an Opening Balance of $0.00

- When filling out the New Customer Payment form, deposit the check to "Checks to Deposit" instead of your regular bank checking account.

- At the end of the day, tally up all checks on your deposit slip. In Quicken, in the "Checks to Deposit" account make a transfer transaction "Daily Deposits" in the amount of your deposit slip. Put the amount into the Payment column. As category choose your checking account, surrounded by [square brackets], e.g. [ABC Bank Checking]. Verify that this reduces the balance in the "Checks to Deposit" account back to zero (or you have made a mistake somewhere along the way).

[*] During the Add Account dialog, choose a checking account and, on the next screen, click on the words "Advanced Setup" then finally choose "I want to enter transactions manually".

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing up this other option, @UKR .  I'm surprised I didn't think of that in my last response since I've been doing what you suggest myself for quite a few years for a couple of similar situations and it does work quite well.  Duh!  Good catch!

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.