Can't get a report to accept my customize account selection

What the heck am I doing wrong? I've got several reports I use and generally customize either account, payee, security, whatever. For a long time now, I cannot get the customize to select the account (for example) I clear all, then click on the account I want and I get a response "Please select at lease one account" This is happening across all reports so I must be doing something wrong. How do I select the account?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Ok, is this a report that you created and saved with a previous version of Quicken? If so try re-creating it from one of the standard reports and see if the selection options work correctly.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    This was a problem in earlier versions of Quicken. What version are you running?
  • dbochinero
    dbochinero Member ✭✭
    R27.8 (27.1.27.28) Was it ever corrected?
  • dbochinero
    dbochinero Member ✭✭
    Oops that's R 27.28
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Ok, is this a report that you created and saved with a previous version of Quicken? If so try re-creating it from one of the standard reports and see if the selection options work correctly.
  • dbochinero
    dbochinero Member ✭✭
    Thank you Jim Harman, that works correctly. So I should just get rid of all my old reports and start fresh. Appreciate your time and advice.
  • dbochinero
    dbochinero Member ✭✭
    I spoke too quickly. I am getting the same message when I used the Quicken "canned" reports. :(
  • Jim_Harman
    Which report specifically?
  • djhc12a
    djhc12a Member ✭✭
    I have a similar problem with Quicken Standard Reports.

I click on Tax Summary, select customize to add all accounts, show report, and then select save. It allows me to save to the "My Saved Reports" area, but it does not allow me to save my new settings of all accounts to the Tax Summary of the Quicken Standard Reports.

I tried to change accounts in a few other reports with the same results.

I have Quicken Premier 2020 vR27.28 build 27.1.27.28.
  • Jim_Harman
    By design you cannot change the standard reports. This is so that you will always have a known starting point when customizing reports.

If you want to modify and save a report so you can use it again with the same settings, you should save the modified report and then run the saved version.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I spoke too quickly. I am getting the same message when I used the Quicken "canned" reports. :(
    You may find this post on the Quicken usenet helpful:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/alt.comp.software.financial.quicken/l4kbsMGC6rI

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• djhc12a
    djhc12a Member ✭✭
    My Quicken software has been updated to 2020 R27.42. I also have run the Validate file routine.

I agree one should not be able to change Quicken Standard Reports, but this one is odd.

Below are the steps I took for Quicken Standard Reports:
    1) Selected the Tax Summary Standard Report; Date Range: Last Month
    2) Selected Customize
    3) Reviewed the Accounts tab.

It shows 6 active accounts as not selected. The Show (hidden accounts) box is not selected. I would think that the Quicken Standard Reports would include all non-hidden accounts by default. The 6 accounts are of type Invest and Asset, but there are other Invest and Asset accounts that show as selected.

I checked a few other Quicken Standard Reports with a similar issue and they are all under the Tax heading.

Why would the Tax Standard Report not include all active accounts?
  • Jim_Harman
    Any accounts that have Tax Deferred selected in the Account details are excluded from the tax reports by default. These would normally be IRA, 401(k), HSA and other similar accounts. Normally these accounts should not be included in your Tax reports because dividends, capital gains, etc are not taxed in these accounts.

Does this explain your situation?

If for some reason you want to include these accounts in your report, you are free to select them and save the report with a new name, and whatever accounts you have selected will be included in the saved report. 
  • djhc12a
    djhc12a Member ✭✭
    That worked. It looks like some of these accounts did not have tax-deferred set to yes. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.