Returns Year to Date/ % Returns Year to Date

Options
Gary R
Gary R Member ✭✭✭
Previously I asked about Returns Year to Date and issue was resolved. My Portfolio view shows Returns Year to Date $$ Amount, and they all agree with my Brokerage statements.
I'm not sure how to compute % Returns Year to Date. I've made investments and sales during this year. Is there a report that will show me this %, or another way to see it.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Look at ROI (%) YTD. This seems correct for individual securities but there is disagreement over whether it is computed correctly at the account level.

Even better, look at Avg Annual Return (1 yr) and set the end date to 12/31. This assumes performance will be flat for the rest of the year.

Avg Annual Return YTD assumes performance will continue at the same rate for the rest of the year, often not a good assumption.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We've discussed Returns ad infinitum. If you have ever sold any shares of a security, all statistics which begin with the word Return will be incorrect because they depend on Amount Invested, which does not decrease when shares are sold (unless all shares are sold).

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To further confuse the issue, the Return (%) numbers in the Portfolio views are downloaded with the quote data and do not reflect any purchases or sales you have made.They are helpful to examine the performance of your Watch list, where you do not have to hold any shares.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I won’t be using Return percentages based on these replies
    Great feedback
    Much appreciated
    Thank you both for your replies
    No more questions about returns—-promise
This discussion has been closed.