How to prevent downloaded investment transactions being entered with wrong name?

I own NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION shares in a Traditional IRA investment account.  When transactions involving the shares are downloaded from my broker, Quicken records the security name as NCR Corporation in the Traditional IRA investment account register. I have been manually changing the security name in the transaction register.  How can I get Quicken to record the correct security name in the transaction register?
  1. NCR Corporation is listed in the Securities window with the symbol NCR.  The Currently Held field for this entry is blank as I had liquidated all of my NCR holdings in 2013.
  2. NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION is listed in the Securities window with symbol NOC.  The Currently Held field contains the Check Mark icon.  I purchased my first lot of NORTHROP in 2019.
  3. Checking the OFXLog.txt file, I can find entries for NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION but no entries for NCR Corporation.  In addition, I can find no NCR Corporation entries but do find entries for NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION when I manually download a QFX file from my broker.
  4. Looking at the Payees & Rules window, I find no Renaming Rules that would result in NORTROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION security name to be changed to NCR Corporation.
I am at a loss at determining why NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION transactions are being recorded in the investment register as involving NCR Corporation.  Could this be the result of some corruption in the Quicken database file?
Or, could it be some translation rule in the Quicken Cloud?  I've had problems in the past with the match logic in the Quicken Cloud changing Payee names and Categories.

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello @M C Crockett

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

First, what is the name of the financial institution that houses this IRA?

Second, please navigate to Quicken > About Quicken and provide the current release.

I would start by creating a test file to help determine if this issue is related to the file or the financial institution.

To create a test file, please navigate to File > New > Start from Scratch and add this account in the test file. Once added is the correct security name downloaded?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    The Traditional IRA account holding NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION shares is hosted at Raymond James & Associates.
    Apparently you use the Windows version of Quicken.  About Quicken is not found under Help in the Mac version.  Currently, I have Quicken Premier 2020 Version 5.17.3 (Build 517.34913.100) and Quicken Beta Premier 2020 Version 5.17.3 (Build 517.34911.100) installed and use both of them.  The databases for both versions were imported from the Windows version of Quicken Premier 2017.
    Raymond James & Associates has suspended support for Direct Connect due to a security issue.  It does support Quicken downloads from their web site; however, the downloads are limited to 3 months of activity and only supports OFX version 1.0.2.
    I did create test files for using Quicken Premier 2020 Version 5.17.3 (Build 517.34913.100) and Quicken Beta Premier 2020 Version 5.17.3 (Build 517.34911.100) and imported the QFX file that I generated on the Raymond James web site into each.  The NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION shares were  correctly imported into each test database.
    I had owned NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION shares in 2011 when I transferred my accounts from Smith Barney to Raymond James & Associates.  The 90 shares that were transferred were sold in 2012.
    The renaming of NORTROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION transactions as NCR Corporation transactions began in December 2019 when I purchased NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION shares again.
    The NCR Corporation shares were a spin-off from the original AT&T and never held in a Smith Barney or Raymond James & Associates account.  They were sold in 2014.

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @M C Crockett

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

If you no longer hold any shares of NCR but still have this security. I would first go to File > Save a Backup.

I would then merge the NCR and Northrop Grumman Corporation so that only Northrop Grumman remains and see if that takes care of the renaming issue.

To learn more about merging securities please take a moment to review the steps and information available here.

If you have further questions or issues with the Beta version, please be sure to address those at the Beta site.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    Merging the NCR Corporation into the NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION security is only a partial solution at best.  The problem is that all NCR Corporation transactions will now be identified as NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION transactions and wreak havoc on Net Worth over time reports.
    I've done some more research after reading your suggested solution.  Looking at the NCR Corporation Price History, I discovered that Quicken started on 28 April 2020 recording NORTHROP share prices in the NCR Corporation Price History.  This seems to indicate that Quicken didn't start renaming NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION transactions until April instead of December of last year.  Both the production and Beta versions of Quicken have identical NCR price histories.
    In addition to the active Raymond James account holding NORTHROP shares, both of my databases have Hidden NCR and Teradata accounts that are included in reports.  Teradata is a spin-off of NCR.  After merging NORTHROP and NCR securities both of this accounts will now have NORTROP transactions.
    I had to delete both the NCR and Teradata accounts from my Quicken databases and delete the Teradata security from the security list.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am at a loss at determining why NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION transactions are being recorded in the investment register as involving NCR Corporation.  Could this be the result of some corruption in the Quicken database file?
    In all likelihood, Northrop transactions from the broker are being recorded as NCR transactions in Quicken because you have matched the Northrop security to the NCR security.  In a WIndows version, you would uncheck the "Matched with online security" for the NCR security.  That would allow you to later correctly associate NORTHROP (per brokerage) to Northrop in Quicken.  I am not familiar with the Mac equivalent to that "Matched with online security" selection.   
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    The Mac version of Quicken does not have a "Matched with online security" option and I can't remember what that does in the Windows version that I stopped using in 2019.
    My problem was that Quicken suddenly started entering NCR Corporation as the Security Name in transactions involving NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION.  Looking at the OFXLog.txt file, the downloaded transactions reported the security name as NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORPORATION.
    As I noted above, I did discover that NORTHROP share prices were being recorded in the price history for both NCR and NORTHROP starting in April 2020.  This seems to indicate that NCR and NORTHROP securities may have been erroneously cross-linked during one of the database updates that occurred this year.
    Also, and noted above, I have removed the NCR and Teradata accounts and security names from my Mac databases and, hopefully, should never see NCR appearing for NORTROP in my investment account transaction registers again.

This discussion has been closed.