How to move deposits from investment account to checking account ?

Options
After rebuilding my file last year using the qif export import function, I have 1 year of deposits categorized as misc income/salary:gross in an IRA account. These should be in my checking account. The move transaction function does not bring up my checking account as a transfer option. Any ideas other than deleting and re-entering manually ? Thanks

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @sailerph2,

Quicken does not allow the transfer or moving of transactions from an investment account to any other account type (i.e. bank account, asset account, liability account, etc.

Theoretically, if you still have the .qif file that you used in your "rebuilding" process, you might be able edit to isolate only those payroll transactions, and then import them into the correct checking account.  Although I have to say that I haven't tried that myself, so whatever you do, make sure that you backup your data file first.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do I understand you correctly ... these transactions should have been part of your regular paycheck's retirement contributions?
    If so, then your paycheck deposit in the checking account should contain a Split line with a transfer to [IRA Account name here]. What happened to it?
    You can't move these transactions out of the IRA account. That would mess up your account balance in both IRA and checking accounts.
    You need to fix the paycheck split to make it a proper transfer transaction. After that, in your IRA account, you need to delete the existing transaction categorized to misc income/salary:gross

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My recollection had been that normally split transactions don't work within QIF imports.  That may not be fully true.

This discussion  may help:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7166513/losing-transfers-in-split-lines
This discussion has been closed.