Update to 29.29 forced (aggravating problem)

This morning, when I ran Quicken Windows Premier it jumped right into an install of an update without a choice - nor can I find anything onsite or in the program as to what changed. So now I am on R29.29. Why does it do this periodically, force an update with no choice? Why isn't the documentation out if they have pushed the update? It's high time this behavior is fixed, it's not the first time....

Best Answer

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you certain that Help->About Quicken shows R29.29?
    The latest I am aware of is R28.28 and there is no word about it except your report.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did just find a reference to an R29.9, so maybe one of you made a typo.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Quicken will do "staged releases", where they upgrade (or at least offer to upgrade) a given number of users and then wait to see if there are any issues reported that were not found in testing.
    They will do that cycle a couple of times and then make it a general release and update this webpage: latest patch.
    Why there weren't any release notes made available during the update, I can't explain.

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, it was 29.9 - see below; which is odd, as the latest in the release notes at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes is 28.28, which is why I assumed I read .29.

Also, checking for updates indicates this is the latest update - so is this just a typo in the version? Did they drop back (I hope not)? 

So something is messed up in this update shoved onto my computer. Also, as this link above shows, there are no release notes and it forced the update without any user consents - a longstanding problem even when the release version is not allegedly messed up.

Hopefully we will hear something from quicken on what's going on.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you not read my post about "staged releases"?  You were obviously in the first staged release.
    If you want complete control over what is installed on your Windows computer, raise the level in the Windows UAC setting so that you are asked for your permission if ANY program tries to make a change to programs such as a Quicken patch release.

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the release notes. 
This discussion has been closed.