How do I get check numbers to download

I am having an issue of no check number in the register; I did add the column for check number but still empty. The payee just says check when I have identified the account as business; if I change that to personal the payee field displays the word check with the check number. Quicken 2020 Version R29.12 Build 27.1.29.12 valid for 364 more days. Institution is CapitalOne business checking. I've tried with OneStepUpdate as well as downloading a QFX file. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the financial institution isn't putting the check number in the transaction and as such Quicken can't import it.

You can edit the QFX file with a text editor like Notepad.  Look for <CHECKNUM>, if this field isn't in the transaction then it is the financial institution that isn't putting the check information in.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Tilden said:
    I am having an issue of no check number in the register...
    You mention the acct is - Capital One business checking -
    You also mentioned ...The payee just says check when I have identified the account as business; if I change that to personal the payee field displays the word check with the check number.
    How do you do that change - what version of Quicken - the HB version ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Tilden
    Tilden Member
    Thanks. I couldn't get the QFX to open with Notepad; when I click on the file it automatically opens Quicken. I did download into a CSV and you are correct in that the bank is not sending the check number in a separate field.
    Yes, I am use Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property. But here's another glitch - the Business did not pull in an opening balance while the Personal download did. I have to manually go enter that.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tilden said:
    Thanks. I couldn't get the QFX to open with Notepad;
    You can open any file..... with Windows file explorer -
    highlight the file --> right click --> Open With....
    (select Notepad) BUT DO NOT CHECKMARK - Always Use This App  ....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10