Is it possible to exit Quicken and not update the date/time stamp of my Quicken data file?

When using Quicken for Windows - Premier, I want to open and view my Quicken file on a backup laptop and exit the program without updating the date/time stamp of my Quicken data file. The purpose is for syncing my data files between my backup laptop and primary desktop. I want to be able to view and/or update the file on either computer and then sync them to always copy the most recently updated file to the other computer. I update my Quicken file on my laptop when on the road. I don't want to open a older version and then accidentally overlay a more recently updated version of my file. Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @LandofCope52 You can accomplish this automatically, by storing your data file in the cloud, with a service such as OneDrive.

When you access your data file from either computer it will be synched with the latest version.

The only caveat is that you must never open your data file from both computers at the same time.

I like OneDrive because it's built into Windows, all you need to do is login to each computer with the same Microsoft account.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @"LandofCope52 ,

If you have a Network-Attached Storage Unit that contains a Mapped Hard Drive to your operating system, you can simply do Manual Backups to your Mapped Hard Drive that is also accessible to both computers.with the Date Option.

Or simply use File Explorer to copy the Manual Backup File to the other computer.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Thank you Rich_M and thecreator! Both very helpful.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To address the original question, the answer is no.  Even though Quicken doesn't change "much" every time it opens the data file it does update it, and there isn't any "read-only" mode.  So the timestamp is always going to change.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Chris_QPW!
This discussion has been closed.