Is there a way to "lock" my opening balance in my bank register?

Somehow I delete it all the time. No idea how/why this happens. All of a sudden, it's gone. Thanks

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Joanne,

I agree with what @Rocket J Squirrel has described above, so I suggest you follow that guidance.

I've been an accountant for longer than I'd like to say, so I can relate to your situation. But, while Quicken isn't necessarily a proverbial "double entry" bookkeeping system, it still is a bookkeeping system, and once you get familiar with how it works, I think you'll rapidly get the hang of it (to use an expression).  In fact, once you get used to it, I think you'll find it to have features that go beyond what a basic bookkeeping system can do.

You might want to consult some of the guidance available under > Help > "How To Videos" or the "Getting Started Guide".

We are here to help you, so please don't give up on Quicken.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Joanne,

Seems like we are missing each other...

Maybe you could give us a little more specific data on what you are trying to do and how we ca help you through it, and then we'll be bteter able to assist you.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Joanne
    Joanne Member ✭✭
    Im used to doing bookkeeping with pencil and paper. This is all new to me and hard to follow. I thought hooking up my bank and credit card accounts would be a good idea but it created a mess that I couldn't figure out.

I undid all of my reconciliations and am manually entering and reconciling every month until I see how this works. I'm working with my checking account now. I want to begin with January 1st 2020 which means I need to enter the ending balance as at Dec 31 2019 as my opening balance for Jan 1 2020. I've entered it but I keep accidentally deleting it as I enter new transactions. I don't even know how I'm deleting it. All of a sudden, it's GONE! Thanks for your interest.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Joanne,

I agree with what @Rocket J Squirrel has described above, so I suggest you follow that guidance.

I've been an accountant for longer than I'd like to say, so I can relate to your situation. But, while Quicken isn't necessarily a proverbial "double entry" bookkeeping system, it still is a bookkeeping system, and once you get familiar with how it works, I think you'll rapidly get the hang of it (to use an expression).  In fact, once you get used to it, I think you'll find it to have features that go beyond what a basic bookkeeping system can do.

You might want to consult some of the guidance available under > Help > "How To Videos" or the "Getting Started Guide".

We are here to help you, so please don't give up on Quicken.

Frankx

• Joanne
    Joanne Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much for your words of encouragement. I refuse to let the defeat me.
This discussion has been closed.