Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I get to the transaction register for investments in R30.09 ?

Bertilak
Bertilak Member ✭✭✭
How do I get to the transaction register for investments?

It seems to have disappeared with the latest update to 27.1.30.9. I see a summary page instead of the register.

Perhaps related... some shares were sold and the brokerage put the proceeds into my checking account but that transfer never showed up in quicken.

Tagged:

Best Answer

  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 Accepted Answer
    I tracked it down ...
    Go to "Edit Account Details". In the "General" tab there is a selection for "Tracking Method" You can select "Simple" or "Complete." Be sure "Complete" is selected. Minee were set to "Simple." I don't know if this is something new or if the update just changed an existing option to "Simple."

    It was annoying that I had to go through about 20 investment accounts to make this change! Oddly, a few of them had NOT been changed to "Simple" so I didn't need to fix those few.

    There still seems to be a problem with Quicken not getting or not recognizing the transfer to the checking account. The brokerage does show that transaction.

Answers

  • wp100
    wp100 Member
    After accepting the most recent update (11/14/20) the cash in each of my brokerage accounts is no longer being downloaded into my individual Quicken accounts. Only the securities in each account are being updated and downloading into each account. How to fix this?
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 Accepted Answer
    I tracked it down ...
    Go to "Edit Account Details". In the "General" tab there is a selection for "Tracking Method" You can select "Simple" or "Complete." Be sure "Complete" is selected. Minee were set to "Simple." I don't know if this is something new or if the update just changed an existing option to "Simple."

    It was annoying that I had to go through about 20 investment accounts to make this change! Oddly, a few of them had NOT been changed to "Simple" so I didn't need to fix those few.

    There still seems to be a problem with Quicken not getting or not recognizing the transfer to the checking account. The brokerage does show that transaction.
  • gulf83
    gulf83 Member
    I have an investment account with Merrill Edge (BofA). My Quicken updated this AM and my account balances are all incorrect and one of my investments in my portfolio is missing altogether.
    Fortunately, I have Quicken 2020 also on my laptop and I would not let it update. The balances NEVER match my online Merrile Edge account but at least it did not lose (drop) one of my investments throwing my totals into disarray.
    If you have an investing account I would think twice about upgrading to this version. Something is not right.
  • Bioman
    Bioman Member ✭✭
    Thanks for finding that solution. Release notes indicated that Simple vs Complete was new feature and was supposed to default to Simple for NEW users. Existing users would still be Complete. The Tracking section was not in account details before the update. Have not updated yet.
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Thanks Bioman. I should read those release notes more carefully. I suppose if it behaved the way it was supposed to behave (no change in behavior to existing users) I didn't really need to know!

    I only mentioned the problem with a missing transfer transaction because it seemed to be related to the missing transaction register. Why download transactions if they are not even going to be shown? Maybe there is some relation because of some transition period and the next time things will go more smoothly.
  • This AM (after the same software upgrade you mention) all my valid investment funds were set to a $1 price per share, so quite a downturn in value for my investment accounts. Sigh.......
  • lindaruh
    lindaruh Member
    I completed the update today and am using version R30.9. Now my Schwab investment account registers do not display so I am unable to view transactions. Help please.

    When I click on a Schwab investment account, I now see a screen with 4 areas called Total Vslue, Portfolio by Security, Top Movers and Value over Time. I see no way to access a register view
  • Same for me
  • dctokach
    dctokach Member ✭✭
    Thanks, solved my problem. They said in the update that they were going provide this simple methodology. However, don't know why they changed some accounts and not others.
  • beh1rens
    beh1rens Member
    This morning I downloaded the new Quicken update r30.9 and my investment accounts were not displaying like it use to. I had to go to edit the account and change Tracking Method from simple to complete.
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭
    Bertilak said:
    I only mentioned the problem with a missing transfer transaction because it seemed to be related to the missing transaction register. Why download transactions if they are not even going to be shown? Maybe there is some relation because of some transition period and the next time things will go more smoothly.
    To Quicken_Tyka:

    The Quicken update occurred at about the same time as my sell transaction with proceeds going to my checking account and perhaps  the change to "simple" prevented the transaction downloads.

    If the above guess is correct, I think it is a bad idea on Quicken's part. All information should be downloaded despite what the user chooses to look at. The user may change his mind and those transactions should then show up in the register.
  • Upgrade to version 30 this morning is a train wreck. At first all mutual funds were showing $1.00 as price per unit. Chat support got me to restore backup which solved that problem.

    But I still have major problem. Most all investment accounts only are showing a four panel view screen with Total Value, Portfolio by Security, Top Movers and Value Over Time. New chat person took a very long time to understand my need to see the underlying transactions, as I have for many years.

    After much frustration, I am finally told registers for investment accounts are not available in Version 30. I was given an unofficial workaround to get back to Version 29 that did not work.

    Very frustrated/unhappy with broken product that has worked for me for 28 years.

    Help!!
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    when you state "register for investment' accounts - what do you specifically mean? I've an also a long time user and see no difference in the features I typically use after updating to version 30.9. 
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    It enabled a new feature Simple Investing that it should not have. 

    Follow info in this thread to go back to how it was.

    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883381/how-do-i-get-to-the-transactions-ledger-on-version-r30-9#latest
  • When select an investment account, I used to see a register, very similar to a checking or credit account, detailing activity by holding in date sequence. Now, all that is available is the four panel view screen with Total Value, Portfolio by Security, Top Movers and Value Over Time.
  • timothygilroy
    timothygilroy Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    The advice about switching from Simple view to Complete view gets the registers back but I am now seeing all shares/funds priced at $1.00 each.

    [Removed-Rant/Disruptive]
  • Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭
    I believe I noticed some new behavior: When I click on an investing account in the Account Bar, I used to be shown the transaction history for that account. Now when I click on an investing account in the Account Bar, I’m shown a display with four charts/graphs.

    I've looked around to see if there's some setting related to this, but I haven't been able to find anything.

    How can I return Quicken to the original behavior so that I see the transaction history when I click an investing account in the Account Bar?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Brian183 see this thread (as posted several times in this thread, it has more details and is the main thread for this problem):
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883381/how-do-i-get-to-the-transactions-ledger-on-version-r30-9

    Bertilak said:
    If the above guess is correct, I think it is a bad idea on Quicken's part. All information should be downloaded despite what the user chooses to look at. The user may change his mind and those transactions should then show up in the register.
    If you think about it, that isn't going to work out.

    If Quicken could really download all the investment transactions and get it all perfectly right, there would be no reason for the user to accept/review transactions.  But we all know that isn't the case.  For the most part is gets "close", but there is no way a person can just blindly accept what is downloaded and expect it to be right.

    And what they are clearly doing is instead of putting in the transactions that download, they are putting in transactions that adjust the security positions and cash amounts, just like someone that didn't care about cost basis and such would have done in the past.  If they had both the transactions and then the adjustments once you switched back you would still have quite a mess on your hands.

    What I think they should do is put a big warning in the changing from complete to simple telling people that this is going to be the case.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Brian183 see this thread (as posted several times in this thread, it has more details and is the main thread for this problem):
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883381/how-do-i-get-to-the-transactions-ledger-on-version-r30-9

    Bertilak said:
    If the above guess is correct, I think it is a bad idea on Quicken's part. All information should be downloaded despite what the user chooses to look at. The user may change his mind and those transactions should then show up in the register.
    If you think about it, that isn't going to work out.

    If Quicken could really download all the investment transactions and get it all perfectly right, there would be no reason for the user to accept/review transactions.  But we all know that isn't the case.  For the most part is gets "close", but there is no way a person can just blindly accept what is downloaded and expect it to be right.

    And what they are clearly doing is instead of putting in the transactions that download, they are putting in transactions that adjust the security positions and cash amounts, just like someone that didn't care about cost basis and such would have done in the past.  If they had both the transactions and then the adjustments once you switched back you would still have quite a mess on your hands.

    What I think they should do is put a big warning in the changing from complete to simple telling people that this is going to be the case.
    I se your point. Quicken simply isn't reliable enough with investment transactions to blindly accept its "interpretation" of what those transactions are so accepting them blindly "under the covers" is not a useful option.

    And yes, Quicken should not  have made this change. It is a silly thing to do -- just as silly as only downloading balances (and not transactions) into a checking account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Bertilak said:
    And yes, Quicken should not have made this change. It is a silly thing to do -- just as silly as only downloading balances (and not transactions) into a checking account.

    You have to understand that the "forced change" to simple is a BUG.  It wasn't intended.  For instance mine didn't change.  In some cases only part of their investment accounts changed.

    And there is a purpose for the simple investing mode.  For instance my Dad would have like it.  All he wanted is to track what was on his monthly statements.  And if you think of Mint and probably Simplfi and others, this is exactly what they track.  Not everyone wants to know every details transactions and keep them up.

    So the feature is fine as far as I can tell, it this nasty bug (which wasn't in the last few releases) and the fact that they don't warn the user of the ramification of switching that makes it "wrong".

    And I have even been thinking about using it.  A lot of my investments are in IRAs where I don't care about the details.  For the traditional IRAs when the money is taken out everything is taxed.  For the Roth IRA, nothing is taxed.  And as for return.  I have tried to use many different ways to judge investments, and frankly most are very "misleading/incomplete" especially in Quicken.  So my real measurement is "How much did my net worth go up?".  For that I don't need any details.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Chris_QPW,

    I see your points. It does boil down to the three things you mention:
    1. The automatic switch to simple mode from complete mode upon update is a bug so we shouldn't see that as a basic design flaw in simple mode.
    2. Simple mode is a feature that some will use and appreciate, but see number 3.
    3. The implications of doing downloads while in simple mode should be made more obvious and carefully explained..
    Quicken should be careful not to surprise users with behavioral changes!

  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW just to make sure people know.  This is what you get when you go to switch between the two modes:


    So there is quite a lot of information about what is going to happen, but no where do they mention that switching back has "ramifications".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about this - what is the impact for all the other areas and reports that feed off a complete ledger of transactions.... Tax Planner, All Investment Reports, etc
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    I've been thinking about this - what is the impact for all the other areas and reports that feed off a complete ledger of transactions.... Tax Planner, All Investment Reports, etc
    For that kind of question I do believe that the dialog above makes it pretty clear.
    You aren't going to be able to use them.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    yup.... and it won't be until folks go to those Reports or features and go WTH...
    Glad I tripped over the ADDED SHARES in a couple of my IRA accts as a test case -
    Discovered the problem during a OSU - flipped back to Complete - and went back to the register and deleted the Added Shares, and did a manual reconcile with each of my brokerages just to make sure there wasn't any other damage.... all good now...
    it will be a ticking bomb toward end of year.
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
Sign In or Register to comment.