Memos getting deleted after account updates (Q Mac)

Options
beeara
beeara Member ✭✭
I'm going back through my register this year looking at deposits of checks. Many of the memos are missing, though I'm quite sure I identified the checks as I always do. I'm guessing that somehow after the accounts get updated the memo gets wiped out.

It's also quite annoying that I can't make a report that shows memos in a category. Back in the old days that was possible. It would really help from time to time to track payees.

Best Answers

Answers

• beeara
    beeara Member ✭✭
    Options
    Actually, my mistake... not so many memos have been deleted... just a few (could it be I didn't really fill in the memo?... in this crazy time, I guess it is.

The real issue is that reports don't show memos... that really is a feature that QMac should do something about. In the past it was available and it really helped.
  • beeara
    beeara Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for responding, jacobs, Frankx and John_M. I'm wondering if you are talking about Quicken for Mac as I wasn't able to do as was suggested here. I will put in a suggestion as Frank suggests, if it's just that I'm not following the instructions that Jacob or John suggested. I didn't seem to have options when right clicking but maybe I'm not in the correct spot? No inclusion of memo seems to be available when I go to help with reports on my software.
  • beeara
    beeara Member ✭✭
    Options
    I figured it out and now can see memos or any other category I choose. It was the right clicking on the menu bar that did it. Seems it would be helpful if this instruction was included in the help. Thanks all!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    If you are talking about adding a column to your on-screen register(s), there is a bottom menu with a Columns button. Click it and you can show or hide columns. (You can also do this in the View menu by selecting Columns. Or by Control-clicking on the headings.)  This is documented in Quicken Help: in Quicken Help, click on "Basics", and then on "Using account registers". 

In Reports, you can change the visible columns in two ways: you can Control-click on the headings and select which columns to show or hide, or you can click View, then Columns, in the menu bar at the top of the report. This is not documented in Quicken Help.

Other small configuration tips you might find helpful: you can re-order the columns by dragging a column heading to the left of right. (This works in registers and on reports.) And you can make columns wider or narrower by positioning your cursor over the dividing line between two headings; it will change to a two-headed arrow, and you can drag to the left or right. (This also works in registers and reports.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MakesMeLoony
    MakesMeLoony Member ✭✭
    Options
    Is there a way to set columns as the default for all reports? I know that I can add a column -- in this case, "Memo" -- to a report and then save the report and Memo will be included every time I run that saved report. But I'd like it to there for *all* reports that I run, saved or not. Is that possible?
  • beeara
    beeara Member ✭✭
    Options
    According to John_M's response above you should be able to:
    "You can add memos to your reports. Run a report and then right-click on the row with the field names. You will see additional choices including "Memo/Notes." Check that and now you have it in the report. You can also drag the order of the field names to your liking. If you save the report under a new name, it will be all set for you the next time you want to run it."
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Is there a way to set columns as the default for all reports? I know that I can add a column -- in this case, "Memo" -- to a report and then save the report and Memo will be included every time I run that saved report. But I'd like it to there for *all* reports that I run, saved or not. Is that possible?
    @QuickenMakesMeLoony  No. ;) There is no way to globally alter columns in either registers or reports; you have to do them one at a time. While that's a bit annoying, it really doesn't take much time, and since the changes are persistent, once done you're set and don't think about it again. If you always want the Memo column in your reports, then you'll simply want to accept the prompt to save the report when you close it, so you can return to it (and not the base default report) when you need it in the future.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MakesMeLoony
    MakesMeLoony Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, jacobs.
This discussion has been closed.