Reports grouping or summarizing by Security (Payee)

Ploooplooo
Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
Hi Quicken Community!!!

I have Brokerage Accounts that hold multiple Mutual Funds or other investments. Each of these pay periodic dividends or interest. I would like to create a transaction report that is grouped by the security (which is labelled Security/Payee in the register). A Transaction Report grouped by Payee on these accounts comes up with no matched transactions. If I switch the report to group by Account the transactions show up. It appears that Quicken Reports only wants Payees here, not Securities. There is no option in reports to group by Security.

Does anyone have some insight on this?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The developers have been building a new reports engine for the past few years. The reports you see under the Reports menu deal primarily with your banking accounts and not your investments. (Some reports, such as Net Worth and Tax Schedule do include investment accounts.)

At the current time, all reports for details on your investments are generated by clicking on Investing (or a sub-group, or specific account) in the left sidebar. You can get many details you might want in a report, but perhaps not all. And you have to set it up each time you want such a report. (There is some hope that one of the next areas of improving reports they will tackle will be building investment-specific reports.)

So start by clicking on Investing, or Brokerage if you don't want you retirement accounts included. Click on Transactions for the report you describe. Set the date range you desire. Click on Security if you want the transactions sorted by Security; click Date if you want them sorted strictly by date. you can then print this register, or if you want to manipulate it more for more involved sorting or organization, do File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV file and open the exported file in Excel or Numbers.

If you want reports on your security performance rather than just transaction, click on Portfolio. Experiment with the filters which control whether you see Portfolio Value, Performance or Realized Gains, and whether to group by Account, Security, or Type. Again, you can print the results by clicking the Print icon on right side above the column headings, or click the Export icon (to the right of the Print icon) to export to Excel or Numbers if you need finer control over sorting or subtotaling.

What exists is good enough for many purposes, but hopefully more robust investment reporting will come along as they continue to build Quicken Mac.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    The developers have been building a new reports engine for the past few years. The reports you see under the Reports menu deal primarily with your banking accounts and not your investments. (Some reports, such as Net Worth and Tax Schedule do include investment accounts.)

At the current time, all reports for details on your investments are generated by clicking on Investing (or a sub-group, or specific account) in the left sidebar. You can get many details you might want in a report, but perhaps not all. And you have to set it up each time you want such a report. (There is some hope that one of the next areas of improving reports they will tackle will be building investment-specific reports.)

So start by clicking on Investing, or Brokerage if you don't want you retirement accounts included. Click on Transactions for the report you describe. Set the date range you desire. Click on Security if you want the transactions sorted by Security; click Date if you want them sorted strictly by date. you can then print this register, or if you want to manipulate it more for more involved sorting or organization, do File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV file and open the exported file in Excel or Numbers.

If you want reports on your security performance rather than just transaction, click on Portfolio. Experiment with the filters which control whether you see Portfolio Value, Performance or Realized Gains, and whether to group by Account, Security, or Type. Again, you can print the results by clicking the Print icon on right side above the column headings, or click the Export icon (to the right of the Print icon) to export to Excel or Numbers if you need finer control over sorting or subtotaling.

What exists is good enough for many purposes, but hopefully more robust investment reporting will come along as they continue to build Quicken Mac.

• Ploooplooo
    Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
    jacobs - Thanks for the complete explanation. That all makes sense and I will look at your workaround - but suspect that I will continue with my own manual tracking until the Quicken team get the reports sorted.

Thanks again, Mike
  • jacobs
    @Ploooplooo  If you're currently tracking things on your own, I'd definitely look to whether you can export the information you need to tweak in a spreadsheet to meet your needs.
  • Ploooplooo
    Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
    @jacobs - Thanks again. I just checked it out and it is definitely easier than my manual solution. Once in the spreadsheet I can filter out what I don't need, but it became clear that the Transaction Type filter on the Transactions page has two choices (Income/Spending) it could also have Transfers as a third since they are neither spending nor income.
This discussion has been closed.