Can I transfer transactions between investment accounts (Q Mac)

Options
Daffy Duck
Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
Can I transfer entries between investment accounts? I see instructions for how to do this in the Windows version written as recently as July 2020 but those instructions do not appear to work on the Mac Version.

For what I am trying to do, I could also accomplish my goal if I could merge 2 investment accounts (registers). Is that possible?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The ability to drag-and-drop transactions between investment accounts has been implemented in the version 6.2.1 release in late May 2021.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    This is a complicated one.

Simple answer is that any transactions NOT related to the securities in the account can be dragged to another account (you'll be ask to confirm).

Any transactions related to securities cannot be moved by just dragging.  Why?  Cost basis / dividend tracking etc.  A dividend for security X can't be moved into an account that doesn't own X.  It can't just magically appear.  I would think that the 'shares in' or purchase transaction, and all others could be dragged altogether... but that isn't allowed, and I can see how it could be quite complex if the same security was owned in each account with multiple basis lots.  Challenging to merge the data properly.

While you cannot (seem to) move or merge historical transactions - it seems you can merge account holdings for future ones.  The "Transfer Shares" transaction type has an option to transfer not just 'one security' but "All Securities" to another brokerage account.  You could test on a duplicate of your data file... but I would think that if you transferred all securities to the target account... and then transferred the cash balance, leaving the original account at zero... that from then on, all transactions could be in the merged, target account.    Historical data would still be in the original account(s).  A serious issue would be if that merged account is linked for online downloads, then that must truly be what is in the online account.  You can't just move securities into the account and not really have them there :-)  If the account is NOT linked, then you can do anything you'd like.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Daffy Duck
    Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @MontanaKarl - I appreciate your response - and the logic makes sense.
    Here is my problem.
    First Background: To start with Quicken I imported a QIF file from Banktivity. I then linked my investment accounts to my brokerage company - and it imported transactions. I was shocked - it imported transactions back as far as 2015.

So now I had the problem of how to get rid of the duplicate entries. I sorted using the column to the left where the blue dots indicate new download. I then determined the date range where the overlap occurred and deleted the entries imported via the QIF file.

My problem was I messed up in one account and wiped out 2 years of data.

So I went to Banktivity exported a new QIF with only those 2 years of data for that account. I then created a temporary Quicken file to import that data into Quicken and exported it in the form of a qxf file and then imported it into my primary Quicken file.

As I am sure you know, it created a second version of this account - so I am trying to combine them and it starting to look like I have a lot of time at the keyboard fixing this mess.

Any suggestions?
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Daffy Duck

Gotcha.  Yeah, my comments above apply to the (arduous) work that you did... just cannot merge like that.

But... if you have not noticed... a great feature of QMac (over QWin) is that you can specify what to download into an account.  If you right click the affected investment account > Edit <account> settings and look at the Downloads tab - at the bottom you'll see that the normal behavior is to download transactions since the date of the last download.  BUT... you can change that date to be farther in the past... or can select the "Download all available transactions" option.

So... I would suggest starting over with your original QIF from Banktivity, linking and importing ("all") as you did in the very beginning... and this time carefully delete only the true duplicates.

If you've done a lot of work in your Quicken file so that starting over from the QIF would lose work in other accounts, then do the import/download in a fresh file. Delete all accounts EXCEPT for the account(s) that you want to import into your "real" Quicken file.   (The QXF export will export everything - will not let you choose which accounts.) Then File > Export > Quicken Transfer File (QXF)...

Back in your "real" Quicken file, File > Import the QXF that you had just saved.  (ALL accounts in the QXF will be imported.)

Before you delete the original / incorrect account, find any transfers and edit them so that they refer to the imported account.  Then, it should be safe to delete the original/messed up account?  I've never tried this, so just the best idea I can come up with.  Maybe someone else will chime in. :-)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The ability to drag-and-drop transactions between investment accounts has been implemented in the version 6.2.1 release in late May 2021.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.