Renewal Banner

Options
Cmath999
Cmath999 Member
I have used quicken for many years. This year I did not renew my subscription but continue to use. I do not need access to banks, etc. So now there are banners on top and side of MY program, taking up a third of my screen. Also, the renewal popup drops in every day. Since you are taking up a third of my screen you need to pay rent equal to $75 per year. Payable now.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Cmath999  Haha, very funny.

First, know that you are not talking to Quicken management here -- just fellow users trying to help each other and a few Quicken moderators.

The top and side banners are a fact of life with modern Quicken for users who choose not to renew their subscriptions. When they originally announced the subscription pricing model, their plan was that users who didn't renew would only be able to use Quicken in read-only mode to access past information. Users howled to complain, and the company relented and made it that users could continue to use Quicken manually. But in return for that, they insist on the banners to inform users why they should upgrade. No one likes it, but they seem to feel it helps prod more users to renew than it does to permanently drive them away. It's an odd marketing approach, in my opinion, but they haven't wavered from it. 

Several hundred people have voted for the Idea thread you can see here asking them to remove or reduce the size of the renewal banners. But you can see in the blue box under the opening post that the company's response there states: "Thank you all for sharing your feedback, however, at this time this suggestion has been reviewed and marked as 'Not Planned' and so this Idea has been closed." You can vote for the Idea to remove the banners, but at the current time, it seems such votes fall on deaf ears at Quicken, Inc.

They want people to continually renew in order to continue investing in the program and maintaining the background services which make it work -- and to continue making a profit to stay in business. That's kinda logical. Why they have decided to significantly annoy customers who let their subscription lapse is something I don't understand; perhaps they feel they'll either get you back in the fold, or if not, they don't care.

In any case, as you can see in that very long thread, you can complain and rant about it, but it's not going to change this reality. You ultimately have to get past your anger at their approach and decide to (a) pay to renew your subscription, (b) learn to live with the banners, or (c) decide to move to some other software that you feel suits you better.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Cmath999  Haha, very funny.

First, know that you are not talking to Quicken management here -- just fellow users trying to help each other and a few Quicken moderators.

The top and side banners are a fact of life with modern Quicken for users who choose not to renew their subscriptions. When they originally announced the subscription pricing model, their plan was that users who didn't renew would only be able to use Quicken in read-only mode to access past information. Users howled to complain, and the company relented and made it that users could continue to use Quicken manually. But in return for that, they insist on the banners to inform users why they should upgrade. No one likes it, but they seem to feel it helps prod more users to renew than it does to permanently drive them away. It's an odd marketing approach, in my opinion, but they haven't wavered from it. 

Several hundred people have voted for the Idea thread you can see here asking them to remove or reduce the size of the renewal banners. But you can see in the blue box under the opening post that the company's response there states: "Thank you all for sharing your feedback, however, at this time this suggestion has been reviewed and marked as 'Not Planned' and so this Idea has been closed." You can vote for the Idea to remove the banners, but at the current time, it seems such votes fall on deaf ears at Quicken, Inc.

They want people to continually renew in order to continue investing in the program and maintaining the background services which make it work -- and to continue making a profit to stay in business. That's kinda logical. Why they have decided to significantly annoy customers who let their subscription lapse is something I don't understand; perhaps they feel they'll either get you back in the fold, or if not, they don't care.

In any case, as you can see in that very long thread, you can complain and rant about it, but it's not going to change this reality. You ultimately have to get past your anger at their approach and decide to (a) pay to renew your subscription, (b) learn to live with the banners, or (c) decide to move to some other software that you feel suits you better.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.