How do I create a new budget from an existing budget?

I would like to create my 2021 budget from my 2020 budget so I don't have to completely re-enter everything into a new budget. I selected "duplicate budget" but the result included all current actual transactions which I don't want. How can I do create a new budget without the actuals?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    To set the budget up for the next year, I suggest you attempt to view the next year in the budget view.  Quicken should offer you the option to preserve the previous budgeted values:

If you have previously chose to use the actuals for the budgeted value in the original budget before creating a copy of the budget, the only way to reset the budget would be to restore a backup of the Quicken file saved before you set the budget for next year. If you didn't make the change recently, I suggest you renter the budget values manually.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    To set the budget up for the next year, I suggest you attempt to view the next year in the budget view.  Quicken should offer you the option to preserve the previous budgeted values:

If you have previously chose to use the actuals for the budgeted value in the original budget before creating a copy of the budget, the only way to reset the budget would be to restore a backup of the Quicken file saved before you set the budget for next year. If you didn't make the change recently, I suggest you renter the budget values manually.

• vlnielsen
    vlnielsen Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock, it worked perfectly!
  • JimJ
    JimJ Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the answer. I tried it but I see in the drop-down menu it still shows "2020 Budget" the middle label shows "2021" however. I think the image attached is a better description. TY for any ideas.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @JimJ The "2020 Budget" is your name.    You might have edited it at some point.  Looks like you are in 2021 despite the name or label in the left drop-down.   Have a look at how to change the name in the image.  Maybe rename it something more generic like Personal Budget, Budget etc.   You can always tell what year it is in the "middle label".

• JimJ
    JimJ Member ✭✭
    Ahhhhh! thank you so much.
  • kimsawyer1
    kimsawyer1 Member ✭✭
    I tried this but don't the the box with the 3 choices. I may had somehow missed this when I first set up 2021 and if so, not what can I do?
  • kimsawyer1
    kimsawyer1 Member ✭✭
    Wow, that was a mess. Let me try again:
    I tried this but don't get the the box with the 3 choices. When I move to the 2021 budget it just opens it and already has some values that are not from 2020. I may have somehow missed this opportunity to choose when I first set up 2021 and if so, now what can I do?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that was a mess. Let me try again:
    I tried this but don't get the the box with the 3 choices. When I move to the 2021 budget it just opens it and already has some values that are not from 2020. I may have somehow missed this opportunity to choose when I first set up 2021 and if so, now what can I do?
    To receive the options when creating the 2021 budgets, exit Quicken, set the system clock back to 2020 and open the Quicken file without the 2021 budgets.  You should open each 2020 budget and scroll them into 2021 to receive the Add a Budget for 2021 options.  After you've added your 2021 budget, exit Quicken and set the system clock forward to 2021.
This discussion has been closed.