Why do income and expenses add together in the budget?

I have a subscription so I am using the newest version of Premiere for Windows. For the first time, I have added income to my budget. After creating the budget, I see the expenses and income add together for the totals. Shouldn't the totals be the difference between expenses and income? If I have $10,000 in income and $5,000 in expenses, my total should be $5,000, not $15,000. Is this a problem Quicken or is my premise wrong which I don't think it is? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Mike Lewis

Comments

• I have a subscription so I am using the newest version of Premiere for Windows. For the first time, I have added income to my budget. After creating the budget, I see the expenses and income add together for the totals. Shouldn't the totals be the difference between expenses and income? If I have $10,000 in income and $5,000 in expenses, my total should be $5,000, not $15,000. Is this a problem Quicken or is my premise wrong which I don't think it is? I would appreciate any help I can get.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    The budgeted expense should be subtracted from the budgeted income in the budget total.  
    The actual expense should subtracted from the actual income in the actual total.  
    The expense balance should be added to the income balance in the balance total.

I suspect you're looking at balance.  

Note: Expense balance should be actual expense subtracted from budgeted expense.  Income balance should be budgeted income subtracted from actual income.
This discussion has been closed.